Freezer Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguar1

Reaction score
I have read on other forums that a split rccd board is a good idea as you can have socket ie a freezer socket NOT on the rccd side as if you go on holiday it won't trip in the event of a fault elsewhere so your food will not be ruined.

But as all sockets now have to be rccd protected this must be a "problem " that people will have to put up with. Or can you have a non-rccd socket for your freezer ???

You can put fridges and freezers on seperate circuit not Rcd protected as an exception even under 17th edition although socket would need to be marked for fridge/ freezer only.

batty

I seem to remember reading somewhere about the 17th that as Batty says the cct must be dedicated to the freezer only and clearly marked as such. Maybe fed by a fused spur instead of a socket outlet?

I think I am going to have to "invest" in a 17th edition:_| shame as my 16th edition is only a couple of years oldX(

Under the 17th, you can have freezers on its own non-rcd section of the board, as long as it is clearly labeled at the socket.

You can put fridges and freezers on seperate circuit not Rcd protected as an exception even under 17th edition although socket would need to be marked for fridge/ freezer only.batty
As Noz says

Not if the cable is T&E and buried less than 50mm !!!
To avoid an RCD..

you need surface mounted

or buried > 50mm

or buried in steel conduit (or another suitable earth protected cable type!)

And

you socket must be labelled

or connected via a FCU!

But anyway...

Where are all theses freezer circuits that trip while people are on holiday??

our house has been on RCD's for 20+ years.. (forgot how long we been here)

anyway.. NEVER had a single nuisance trip!!! ?:| ? :| ?:|

And our fridge & Freezers have always been on an RCD circuit??

If there is nobody at home using power or pluggin in dodgy appliances..

I would suggest the real risk of a trip is very small indeed!!

IMHO

but if you really really want it seperate... Stick an RCBO in

I seem to remember reading somewhere about the 17th that as Batty says the cct must be dedicated to the freezer only and clearly marked as such. Maybe fed by a fused spur instead of a socket outlet?I think I am going to have to "invest" in a 17th edition:_| shame as my 16th edition is only a couple of years oldX(
You are after.. 411.3.3 (a). :) ;)

But how does the cable get to it...

TWO areas...

RCD protected sockets..

AND

RCD protected cables in walls??

Under the 17th, you can have freezers on its own non-rcd section of the board, as long as it is clearly labeled at the socket.
Very true.. the socket can be non RCD.... (411.3.3 (a).)

as previous post..

But how do you get the cable get to it...????? ?:| ? :|

Garage freezer adjacent to CU would be easy enough...

But not always conveniently located!? :_| :|

Finished my 17th edition course a few weeks back one of the guys on the course gave me a copy of eca key fact sheet 2 which deals with the 17th edition and rcd's. I typed in eca key factsheet there are a lot useful sheets tried to put attachment up but file is to big to post.

batty

Good fact sheet Batty, but it does not get away from the fact that all circuits burried less than 50mm (unless SWA, MICC, in earthed metal conduit, etc) still need to be protected by a RCD - unless .... skilled or instructed persons (but I won't get into that)!

I agree but every job is different maybe cables are not buried in wall. I always put my fridges/freezers through Rcd's.

batty

Good fact sheet Batty, but it does not get away from the fact that all circuits burried less than 50mm (unless SWA, MICC, in earthed metal conduit, etc) still need to be protected by a RCD - unless .... skilled or instructed persons (but I won't get into that)!
Concur with Mr Noz there!!! ;) :) :) :)

good info ...slightly off topic but did you see this!

It is recommended that in order to minimise unwanted

tripping, the sum total of standing leakage currents

should not exceed 25% of the tripping current rating

(IΔn) of the RCD protecting the circuit(s).

Modern fluorescent fittings with electronic ballasts can

have 1mA leakage current for every tube.

IT equipment may have up to 3.5 mA leakage at each

work station.

It can therefore be seen that a single 30 mA RCD is only

suitable for a few items of equipment. If too many items

are connected, unwanted tripping is bound to occur and

when a problem occurs it is likely to bounce back to the

contractor.

unquote

does this mean more than say 7 flourescent fittings on a cct will be a no no? tum te tum te tum

sorry to go on but saw this also

With regard to socket outlets, the installer has the option

to omit the RCD by dedicating a socket outlet for a

specific purpose. The socket will need to be labelled

accordingly.

The RCD may be omitted where there are concealed

cables if they are protected with an earthed metal screen

or sheath that is suitable for use as a protective

conductor e.g. MICC, armoured cable, steel conduit etc.

Taking your second post first:

I believe Specloc covered that quite well in his reply to the OP mate.

Regarding the leakage; it is a suggested guideline of 25%. However, it would probably be advisable to do a leak test if you have any doubts. The computer side is more of an issue, as 3 p.c.`s would technically leak 10.5mA which only leaves 19.5 effective on the RCD!. Domestic houses could easily have 3 computers in `em nowadays.

My neighbours mother has problems with nuisance tripping, she has 1 fridge,1 fridge freezer and 1 freezer all on 30ma trip side of cu. dont know why she needs all these but when i tested with ramp test the trip tripped at 21.9 ma. tested mine at home, same make trip and got the same reading, and found out that this is quite normal.Ive moved freezer in garage to non rcd side,and fitted a spur to it, and this has helped, but if the other two are running and she plugs in her kettle the trip trips. I think there are going to be a lot of problems with the new regs on older installations even with rcbos .

My neighbours mother has problems with nuisance tripping, she has 1 fridge,1 fridge freezer and 1 freezer all on 30ma trip side of cu. dont know why she needs all these but when i tested with ramp test the trip tripped at 21.9 ma. tested mine at home, same make trip and got the same reading, and found out that this is quite normal.Ive moved freezer in garage to non rcd side,and fitted a spur to it, and this has helped, but if the other two are running and she plugs in her kettle the trip trips. I think there are going to be a lot of problems with the new regs on older installations even with rcbos .
Do you not consider there may be a faulty appliance here???

NOT a nuisance trip??

Why would a Kettle be leaking to earth??

As I have mentioned before..

We have had bog-standard Split-load board fitted for longer than I can remember...

With ALL of the kitchen appliances, Fridge/Freezer/Dishwasher/Washing Machine/Tumble drier.....

Bread machine/Microwave/ central heating boiler...

Electric showers.. etc.. etc..

The only time our RCD trips..

Is when the Steam Iron is overfilled & water gets in the gubbins...

Or our old steam iron had a fracture in the water chamber..

i.e. Tripping because there was a FAULT.. not nuisance. ;)

Me moms kettle tripped their RCD a few months back.. Faulty kettle... dripping over inlet lead!!!

NOT an RCD tripping when it shouldn't

I think the main "problems" will tend to be highlighting genuine faults that need addressing! ;)

No this is a brand new kettle that she bought because she thought the old one was faulty. Its not always the kettle, sometimes its the microwave. At other times either can be switched on with no problems.Individual rcbos would help but shes not long had the split load board fitted and doesnt want to pay for another new one.