French Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Hi y'all. :D

I've been asked to do a busmans holiday in France. Travel, accommodation and food all sorted and paid for if I do the electrics on a house over there.

Has anyone any experience of French electrical systems? How different is it from our stuff, do they have a Part P equivalent?

I would presume it's radial circuits for power, are lighting circuits the same layout as we do?

No idea what the supply type or earthing is yet (this job was via a phone call from the other half! :p )

I'm a bit torn about this. Could be a great time, a great laugh and a really good learning curve. :D

Or could be a absolute 'mare! :_|

Hi y'all. :D I've been asked to do a busmans holiday in France. Travel, accommodation and food all sorted and paid for if I do the electrics on a house over there.

Has anyone any experience of French electrical systems? How different is it from our stuff, do they have a Part P equivalent?

I would presume it's radial circuits for power, are lighting circuits the same layout as we do?

No idea what the supply type or earthing is yet (this job was via a phone call from the other half! :p )

I'm a bit torn about this. Could be a great time, a great laugh and a really good learning curve. :D

Or could be a absolute 'mare! :_|
Power would def. be radial m8. We`re the only ones using rings now, as far as I am aware.

I would think that the "possible" benefits may well outweigh the concerns.

I`ve got lots of "wierd" info here - let me have a look at it. I looked into US electrics, as I`m tempted to move over there; and start a business / teach sparkin`. Got LOTS of info, not all on U.S.

I`ll get back to you m8

Have a look here:

http://www.francethisway.com/renovation/electricity.html

just found it on a quick look.

Cheers KME. :x

I have heard that being able to speak Spanish (well US Spanish rather than Castilian) is a massive boost as you tend to get 'overseer' jobs!

It's very tempting but I don't speak French. I hope someone can translate for me at the Trade Counter! :^O

If you want a manual; this seems to be the one of choice:

L'Installation Electrique by Thierry Gallauziaux and David Fedullo 23 euros.

Buy it at amazon.fr.

The best. Clear, concise explanations of systems and regulations.

It`s in french; but the diagrams are clear and easy to understand.

:eek: :O

Exsqueeze me???????????

Did you splutter something?? ?:|

I note that Mr. Sworld has put a note on the calendar for you; r.e. scoobs. ; \

Suggest you get that lazy Admin geezer out of his pit, and have him address the issue. ]:) ] :)

(Don`t ask me!!! How would I know????) ;) :^O :^O

To start with, thanks again KME. Those links have provided me with enough information to plan this.

The job is two apartments in a building that have electrics in there already. From the brief phonecall I had last night I'm to test the present set up and provide some new circuits.

From what I understand, as it isn't a new-build or a complete re-wire then you do not require certification a la Part P (see, getting a bit Gallic already! ;) )

The earth should be sound (as it's an apartment block) and it seems that all rcd/mcb's in France are two-pole. All wiring must be in either rigid or flexable conduit.

So I think I'm going to go for it (plus the idea of having access to an apartment in the French Alps seems like a bonus!). :D

Just need to get the time off work in July.

FFS,

I go aweay for a couple of days and already someone else is undermining me and doing my euro sh1t.

PFFFFFF

and no one even missed me,,,,,,,,

bahhhhhh

ps, good advice so far, its a piece of ****, go for it. :)

FFS,I go aweay for a couple of days and already someone else is undermining me and doing my euro sh1t.

PFFFFFF

and no one even missed me,,,,,,,,

bahhhhhh

ps, good advice so far, its a piece of ****, go for it. :)
Steps, could you advise me about testing in France. I'll test what I do as I would test in the UK. Is there any odd extras that France requires?

Also I'm under the impression that in France unless the installation is a new-build or a complete re-wire then EDF do not require a certificate?

Also I've found a book that doesn't exsist! There is an English translation of L'Installation Electrique that I've found on the web! Happy days! :D

Also Step's I missed you, I thought the smell of horse had cleared up a bit! :^O ]:)

Mr Sworld, you should feel lucky its France your being asked work mate. Iv just been told that im being shipped off to Kuwait to work for a month, not the destination you dream of working when serving your time!!!!!!!

Mr Sworld, you should feel lucky its France your being asked work mate. Iv just been told that im being shipped off to Kuwait to work for a month, not the destination you dream of working when serving your time!!!!!!!
Ah..... Just head for the US military bases! Plenty of the wet stuff there! :^O

I've heard that Kuwait is all wired to UK specifications? Is this true?

As far as im led to believe it is wired in uk spec in Kuwait.

Its a land rig im heading for though so the chances are itl be american wiring systems. Can cause problems as they use black as the live in single phase installations, although since we became "harmonized" it has got a little less confusing!!!

Latest posts