FUN-LV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

© Honorary Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's anything like bidoying installations then big letters and pictures are helpful. It's not all that complicated, but it's doing it all in the right order. Bonus points are awarded if you can do it without swearing :D  

If it works it will probably be good, but I think it might bring a change to the way we normally work on LV networks as isolation won't be as straight forward anymore. 

wonder if all that fun stuff will avoid what happened on a callout the other day... factory with some TP stuff working, most not. all lights & SP power working. quickly discover all 3 phases are the same phase.... do you get that often @misssweden?

Last edited by a moderator:
If this ever reaches my end of the world I hope all the installation manuals come with big letters and plenty of pictures. :D  

If you wade your way through the bumf it goes in to the problems of safe isolation and live working, basically tell LV control to disable FUN.

They’re a miserable lot in LV control  ]:)

Fun stuff seems to be more about dealing with increased load demands rather than fault management. 

Phase to phase to phase faults do happen every now and again. Where I work they have a phase to phase gadget (i'm sure it has a fancier name than that but i've never heard it :D  ) which looks a bit like a CAT to help locating such faults. Saves digging lots of holes for a cut and test :)  

If you wade your way through the bumf it goes in to the problems of safe isolation and live working, basically tell LV control to disable FUN.

They’re a miserable lot in LV control  ]:)

I must have missed that bit. I guess it will be a bit more like HV working procedures, rather done sorting out the isolation ourselves. 

no idea what they done to find it (although there was a hole about 10m from substation the next day). he did try multiple fuses to try and blow it clear but it wasnt having any of it. i first hung around because previous to this the power had been off in the morning due to planned works. first thoughts were how could they screw up so badly - even DNO bloke thought the same when he arrived (to which they had nothing on their computers to say any work had even been done). turned out to be unrelated, and even he wasnt sure why they needed to turn off the power to add another 2 cables to the outgoing fuse holders on the side of the transformer...

even he wasnt sure why they needed to turn off the power to add another 2 cables to the outgoing fuse holders on the side of the transformer

You're not allowed to terminate cables in a live LV pillar, that's why. My lot doesn't allow it and I doubt any other DNO does. 

3 live exposed busbars and a stripped end of a wavecon to put away, it only takes a stray neutral strand across two of them and you've successfully made yourself into toast. 

Status
Not open for further replies.