Funny results with my amaturish testing :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a light in my loft. I'm even allowed to fit one, now i have 2 JB's accessable both with a single wire going in and out (used to extend a circuit?).

My volt detector detects them as live. Remove the cover amd my fluke T50 illuminated at 230V (only 1 light) when red probe on either L or N.

When testing between L&N I get nothing but L&E or N&E give me 230V (all lights lit)

What's happeneing here? How can I have a reading with only 1 probe?

mine does the same (mines a different version though), one probe and itll tell you if its live or not. brilliant for fault finding, especially on some older circuits with no earth. if you test live/neutral with a test lamp, you get nothing in neutral is broken, with these, you still get a warning of it being live

BUT: more importantly for your wiring, you have crossed polarity! you should get 0 between neutral and earth, and 240 (sorry, 230) between live and earth or live and neutral

depends where its been crossed. check at a socket and make sure there correct. if its not, take the cover of the CU and check there is necessaryIf it is, check a few other lights to find where its gone wrong
a socket? On my radials? They all check out ok with a socket tester

unless you have an dodgy neutral somewhere, that could give a reading of 230v between neutral and earth

do any of the lights in the house not work? id guess its between this junction box and previous light

everything does work. One of the JB's is on a red/black & earth that comes from a 2 way switch.
maybe start going back and testing various lights. try and work out the cable route from there you tested to where it goes to another light. check in there for and loose connections

maybe start going back and testing various lights. try and work out the cable route from there you tested to where it goes to another light. check in there for and loose connections
I'll have an investigate at the w/e.

All that damn fibreglass.

might just spur off the radial via a FCU (3A). Get me light up and running so I can see what I'm doing up there!

are all your switched lives marked up ?????

you might be seeing 230v on a black switched wire

I'll have an investigate at the w/e.All that damn fibreglass.

might just spur off the radial via a FCU (3A). Get me light up and running so I can see what I'm doing up there!
well if you didnt live so far away i would come round and have a look for you...

few things you should invest in:

Disposable overalls

Decent head torch

well if you didnt live so far away i would come round and have a look for you...few things you should invest in:

Disposable overalls

Decent head torch
can you recommend a good one

mine last only a few goes

are all your switched lives marked up ?????you might be seeing 230v on a black switched wire
Not marked in this JB. Good point there Theory!

Will have to get me gf switching things on an off at the w/e!

can you recommend a good onemine last only a few goes
how deep are your pockets? I have one of these

excellent light and the weight is on your belt, not your head. Need something trustworthy if operating in a dingy barn. I can also recomend the clulite torches highly - not cheap but excellent

i have a petzl DUO with 5 leds and a halogen (switch to choose) takes 4x AA batteries, i use rechargeable. gets a long time use form it

this is my good headlight and is kept in the van out of the way

e0ddda5538fc8964

CPC code LA01381

cost around

I`m with Theo on this one mate - sounds like a switch line.

Lets play hunt the neutral. :)

Great game when you cut into a t+e to add to a circuit, and find its actually switch wire. Arrrrgh. Can`t we all use twin brown / red??

apache - i was thinking of a seperate battery pack... but then i thought if needed, i could mod mine to take an external battery and just have an empty box on the head strap

Also, what do you think of the brightness of the 14 led's? mine only has 5 but is bright enough for just about everything i do

I`m with Theo on this one mate - sounds like a switch line. Lets play hunt the neutral. :)

Great game when you cut into a t+e to add to a circuit, and find its actually switch wire. Arrrrgh. Can`t we all use twin brown / red??
i think i may have jumped in too deep with 'faulty neutral / cross polarity somewhere'!!

Latest posts