Funny results with my amaturish testing :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First proper post and controversial from the start. :D :D99% or resistors fail open-circuit, not short-circuit, so risk is quite low?
probably, but there is still a chance. normal resistor failing may normally be OC, but other things may come into it. like if it gets damp. or if something inside works loose and somehow manages to bypass resistor. very low chance, but could still happen

But either way, using your body as part of a test circuit, where if something does go wrong could kill you, doesnt have much appeal to it. so ill stick with my T140

We like controversy is that right (spell check not working)Batty

;)
I believe - is that a drug or something? - your spelling is correct.

Your signature suggests that you probably don't own a neon screwdriver. :D

J

Is the issue with neon screwdrivers that they are 2 for a pound from the sunday market - yet you sill use your body as the path to earth?

I'd like a Wera, or a Fluke one :)

(can you get decent ones?)

I believe - is that a drug or something? - your spelling is correct.Your signature suggests that you probably don't own a neon screwdriver. :D

J
Generally I test with a Di-log volt stick to start and then my old faithfull fluke clamp meter which has volts to be sure. I have a lot of neon screwdrivers but don't tend to use them. Always remember reading a story about a sparks who got a nasty poke of one because the apprentice had dropped it in some water and had not dried it out.

Batty

Yes Batty, I was told about that too Mate.

Listen guys, there are market stall neons ,yes , but also better quality ones, been using one for years, they have their uses and are just part of your armoury of testers . In the van I have an old Drumond to fall back on, a Steinel , a brand new can't remember make one, all singing dancing, a Voltstick, the dreaded neon, a bell set ( doorbell & battery) best thing for tracing and identifying cables, a Martindale Socket tester and an enclosure with a bell & tranny with a plug and lead... good for yanking fuses out and finding the circuit

please explain, link or summink.any fancy things i have seen like that either show on any kind of voltage whatsoever, (including induced) or are just too unreliable.

thanks apache.

its just sometimes the old ways are the best, eh Deke? old and simple,,,, like us.

well me anyway.......
Thats right Steps, but the older I get , the simpler I seem to be getting, it must be right 'cos my missus says so !!! :z :)

Deke