Fused spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott g

Reaction score
Hi guys so I've 1 double plug socket in my garage that I think is spurred from somewhere due to only having a single 2.5mm t&e cable to it, my question is can I put a 13amp fused spur in to have an extra double socket fitted in the garage ?

a 13a fused spur will limit the max current draw to 13a for anything connected after the spur unit. You would be better putting the spur at the point where the single cable comes from the ring if possible. Otherwise fit it before the first socket in the garage. Don't forget that as its outside, it should be protected by an RCD so check that first.

go on then, prove me wrong using domestic and the 18th edition

and bear in mind this is a diyer

63a sockets dont need RCD protection... 'as for prove me wrong using domestic & 18th edition'... why are you now suddenly changing what you mean part way through? simple fact is, your original statement of 'all sockets require RCD protection' is wrong. why should we 'bear in mind this is a DIYer', are you using that as an excuse for giving misleading / incorrect advice?

A socket provided for a specific purpose and no buried cables doesn't require RCD protection either. 

I have no idea if this applies to domestic, I don't do domestic anymore, but it probably does. 

Also, a socket supplied by an isolating Tx doesn't need RCD protection, and yes, I have seen some installed in domestic for the very purpose of not requiring RCD protection.  

Remember, the "regs" are guidance, not statutory.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 hours ago, Andy™ said:.. 'as for prove me wrong using domestic & 18th edition'... why are you now suddenly changing what you mean part way through? simple fact is, your original statement of 'all sockets require RCD protection' is wrong. why should we 'bear in mind this is a DIYer', are you using that as an excuse for giving misleading / incorrect advice?
I clarified what I wrote because I knew somebody would twist the question and their answer to suit their own opinion.

Obviously my reference point is code breakers ….

I clarified what I wrote because I knew somebody would twist the question and their answer to suit their own opinion.

stop making up excuses for your misinformation. you stated something as fact when it isnt. as for reference point, mine, and id expect most of us here, is BS7671, not some random guide on it

I may well be wrong but I think the wording is sockets "upto 32A" need RCD protection.   Strange wording as 32A is NOT , by definition, encompassed in the expression.     31.999999999999999A is.....I think they missed out and including.    There again I don't actually  give a flying 💩 😂😂😂

iirc wording is something like 'not exceeding 32a', so 32a and less does need an RCD (otherwise current job would have been far easier, 32a sockets all over the place). the exception by risk assessment doesnt apply to domestic anymore

How has it been twisted to suit their own opinion, you immediately assumed 13A socket outlets because your level of competence is refined to domestic works. Quite frankly to cite Codebreakers is embarrassing. 

How has it been twisted to suit their own opinion, you immediately assumed 13A socket outlets because your level of competence is refined to domestic works. Quite frankly to cite Codebreakers is embarrassing. 

:shakehead

I would suggest anyone with half a brain immediately assumed 13A socket outlets because that is what "Scott g" was actually asking about...  

Go on..  Re read his question...

Hi guys so I've 1 double plug socket in my garage that I think is spurred from somewhere due to only having a single 2.5mm t&e cable to it, my question is can I put a 13amp fused spur in to have an extra double socket fitted in the garage ?
Why assume anyone's competence, just because they answer a question within context of the person posting the original question.. 

:C

what is the point of considering any "Non-Domestic" application when bothering to contribute to this thread..???

what exact use would that be to help Scott g..?

Who has posted his question in the Do It yourself section??

:coat    

Meanwhile..  Back to the original question..  (not the debate about regs interpretation)..

It is probably worth checking what rating the protective device is at the consumer unit....?

As the existing socket could be part of a radial circuit fed from a spare 16A or 20A MCB..

(which I have seen quite often in garages especially when the consumer unit is also in the garage,

and the old immersion heater MCB is no longer in use since a combi-boiler was fitted)..

In which case you can just extend it without needed any 13A fused spurs..

But of course you will also need to check on appropriate RCD protection!!!!!   :innocent

Good grief, all I said was he should check that its RCD protected first..... yes all sockets (13a domestic ones) should be but particularly if they are outside! no doubt the original poster will have long gone elsewhere for less complex advice by now. Probably better to stop trying to outwit each other and just give people good advice (like the above).