G59 Requirements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jammin

Hey guys just a quick one :)

Dose anyone know what the G59 requirements are for installing a solar PV system on a domestic house, that already has a wind turbine installed. Or know where I could get this information?

Thanks.

Try this.

Distributed Generation Connection Guide - Energy Networks ...

G 59 is the guidance note on the connection of such things as

solar and other generators to the grid.  The G59 relay is the

device that provides protection for the smaller source of energy.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big a system are you putting in, domestic doesn't normally get past G83, but with a wind turbine already installed you will need to notify DNO BEFORE starting work. Worth talking to them anyway, as sometimes they will allow a bigger system on a single phase supply than 4kW

Hey binky. Well this one is only a baby, 5kw wind turbine existing and we want to put a 6.5kw pv system in. The DNO in Northern Ireland will allow upto 6.5 KW to be installed on a Domestic single phase. Or if they have a higher gauge incoming cable up to 10KW

I'm just struggling to get any clarity from the DNO 1. if they will allow us to do this 2. what the requirements are. Keep getting passed around different departments, no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. Doing my head in  :(   

Hey binky. Well this one is only a baby, 5kw wind turbine existing and we want to put a 6.5kw pv system in. The DNO in Northern Ireland will allow upto 6.5 KW to be installed on a Domestic single phase. Or if they have a higher gauge incoming cable up to 10KW

I'm just struggling to get any clarity from the DNO 1. if they will allow us to do this 2. what the requirements are. Keep getting passed around different departments, no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. Doing my head in  :(   
the way it works around here, is I would put an application into DNO (by phone) which gets passed to local engineering team for approval

This topic is related in a way.. i am trying to find out more info on G59 requirements as i am getting conflicted advice from people and what i can find on google.

I carry out a lot of small scale solar work ranging from 2 to 4kW systems and trying to find out at what point G59 kicks in at.

It states when it goes beyond 16A per phase, but also finding that I can still carry out solar installs on systems upto 50kW as long as I install a G59 relay protection devise under the G83 testing series. I am not qualified to carry out the full G59 testing procedures and i am looking for further advice on this topic as I have protential work coming up on a 30kW install across three phases and a 50kW install across three phases.

many thanks

most 3 phase inverters are G59 compliant without any further gadgets. Always worth a call to your local DNO, it take a few days to get a reply, but ultimately, thier opinion counts as its their system. I think its only if you go iver 50Kw you have to start fitting relays and stuff, but to be honest I've been too busy to have a look recently, and my memory isn't what it was.