Garage electrics queries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevext

Reaction score
Good Morning All

Thanks for accepting me, hope I can tap into your collective knowledge.

I have a 1950’s house with a detached garage that runs parallel to it with a 1 metre wide path between it.

currently the supply to it is as follows....

• RCBO 32 30ma in fairly new consumer box under the stairs.
  • twin and earth flex coming out of house approx 2.8m high above path then suspended catenary and into garage fuse box.
  • old metal fuse box with wire fuses in garage.

the power supplies an electric roller door, 2 single sockets, 2 double sockets and 4 led strip lights. Have a tumble dryer out there but no welders or big equipment, I just store the scooter and garden stuff in it.

I had a few doubts about the flex being ok for the job so started reading up a bit, before I ask around for a part p registered electrician to come out, am I just over concerned?

didnt think twin and earth flex should be run to an external building?

Although the cable is less than the 3.5m high I seem to read about, it’s a footpath accessed by only me, should I raise it?

would it be beneficial to change the old wire fuses for something more modern

Thanks very much for your time and stay safe

regards

Steve

OK.

Is it flex or does it look like flex? There are "proper" outdoor grades of "flex" that would be perfectly suitable for this application.

Regarding the height, in a domestic situation, where its going over a pathway, common sense applies 

Is the garage fuseboard on its own circuit in the house fuseboard?

Does your "modern" fuseboard have 2 x RCD's or RCBO's?

Hope this helps

Hi Murdoch

Not sure if it’s outdoor grade flex, but it appears very faded and stiff so I’m presuming has been affected in some way.

House consumer unit has main switch, 2 x RCBo’s ( one of which is garage feed) then a line of mcb’s with 2 x RCD’s separating them.

Thanks for clearing the height issue, your thoughts on replacing fuse box to something more modern with an RCD inside it?

cheers

Steve

Steve

Faded and stiff could mean its hi-tuff - so not a problem

RCD protection is provided by the RCBO in the main fuseboard, so having another RCD is pretty much pointless. 

Getting a spark or 2 round to take a look and discuss improvements wouldn't be a bad move IMHO

Not sure if it’s outdoor grade flex, but it appears very faded and stiff so I’m presuming has been affected in some way.
Is this a grey , flat cable  Steve , or is it black circular  .  As Murdo says it may be  one of the Hi-Tuf  type .   Flat  ,grey twin /earth is affected by sunlight . 

Sounds like you need to upgrade the box in the garage .  

Afternoon

It’s a grey flat cable, will take your advice and get someone round when the current situation eases for peace of mind. Thanks for clearing up the wire height and RCD protection queries gents.

regards

Steve

Please don't be swayed by the fact the "electrician is Part P".     As all that means is that he has met the fairly lax requirement of a competent person scheme so he/she is allowed to notify certain works to building control. Also Part P is NOT a qualification it is a Building Regulation.  But definitely get an electrician in to have a look. Where are you based as one of our members may be in your area?

Evening

many thanks to all who replied, have arranged for someone to look over at it for me. Thanks to the advice here I’ll understand what they are pointing out and why.

cheers all and stay safe 

steve

Evening

many thanks to all who replied, have arranged for someone to look over at it for me. Thanks to the advice here I’ll understand what they are pointing out and why.

cheers all and stay safe 

steve
if the person you have contacted talks gibberish, do feel free to contact me, I'm in Plymouth.