Garage light switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott_369

Reaction score
I realise this is probably a stupid question but anyway...... 

I have a question regards my garage light switch 

Its a single switch which was replaced when i had some work done not that long ago anyway the switch has been playing up so im going to replace it, when i opened it inside there are the following 

2 brown live wires connected 

Then the yellow/green earth is just capped off and not connected 

And 2 blue neutral also capped off and not connected 

Is this normal? My knowledge i quite basic but i thought the other wires would need to be connected as well. If anyone can explain it would be appreciated 

Thanks in advance

If it's a metal switch box or metal switch plate, the earth wires should be connected to those.

I assume by "capped off and not connected" you mean the two blue wires join to each other in a connector block?

If it's a metal switch box or metal switch plate, the earth wires should be connected to those.

I assume by "capped off and not connected" you mean the two blue wires join to each other in a connector block?

Sorry just realised what i wrote there

Yes the two blue wires join in a connector block from each end. 

Its plastic switch plate and box

Assume the earth would only need connecting if it was metal?

The earch is in a cap end protector box

Cheers had a few questionable electric wiring in the past so just wanted to double check why the earth wasnt connected but yea forgot that its a plastic box so doesn't need it. 

Also thought that the blue would need to be connected to the switch plate but guess not. Told you it was a stupid question! 

Thanks