Garden room fed from Garage?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infaddict

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In very early planning of a possible garden room, to be built alongside my garage. I need to know the art of the possible around getting supply into the new room so looking for advice. I will of course get the pro's in to do the job, but just looking at what I can do or can't do with the limitations of my existing setup.

I live in a 9 year old house with detached garage. The house consumer unit has a 16A MCB for "Garage" and a SWA cable runs out under my garden/patio into the garage. The garage has its own mini consumer unit, with MCB's for 6A Lights and 16A Sockets. I have photos of the consumer units/MCB's if needed.

I really dont want to have to dig up my patio or driveway so hoping there is a solution via the existing SWA cable and feed new SWA from the garage along a short couple of metres to the new room. The garden room will be fully insulated, rubber roof, cedar clad, bi-fold type variety. It will be 4m x 3m and will have its own consumer unit. It will contain the following:

- 2kw electrical heater
- 3 x double sockets to power a laptop, monitor and exercise bike
- 6 internal LED spotlights and 3 external LED spotlights

What options do I have please? If needs be I could upgrade consumer units/MCB's etc just trying to avoid digging up my lovely patio or driveway to make this happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

The quantity of consumer units you have is of minimal importance when assessing what can and cant be done...

Its the CSA, installation methods and cable lengths that are the governing factors..
Plus the existing load on the current installation arrangement....

The best option in all of these situations is to ring around and get a few independent quotes from people who have actually seen your exact arrangements and can make realistic suggestions rather than guessing.

I regularly get messages / emails / attached photo's, from customers quoting all sorts of things they want to do and what they think is currently there..
My answer 99.999999% of the time is "I will need to do a site visit"..
And quite frequently they have missed key points from their original request, and/or what they thought they has was not correct..

Thanks for your reply. I'll get some local people around to take a look - I just didn't want to waste their time if it wasnt a possible job.