Gas Hob to be replaced with an Electric Hob, power connection question(s)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamVxT

Reaction score
Hello,

So I currently have a Zanussi gas hob that's built in to the counter, and an electric oven below it. The gas hob is faulty, and I wish to replace it, preferably with an electric hob (no specific model as of yet).

Now, I know I'll need to get the gas capped, by a gas safe engineer, no problem. My question relates to the power for the hob, when I remove the oven, I see 2 regular plug sockets, one for the oven, and one for the current gas hob. There is also a red switch that says "Cooker" close by which I've confirmed deactivates both of these sockets when off, and it's attached to a 32A fuse on my main fuse box.

Looking at almost any electric hob, it requires hard wiring, yet I only have a plug socket. Is it possible to convert this plug socket into a hardwired... socket? When I say "Is it possible" I mean by a qualified electrician, I'm not intending to do this myself, just want to make sure it's a possible thing before I potentially waste an electrician's time

Can you access the sockets so as to plug your job in? 
switch off the big red switch now try igniting you job plugging in one socket then the other. 
let us know. 

Can you access the sockets so as to plug your job in? 
switch off the big red switch now try igniting you job plugging in one socket then the other. 
let us know. 

Yeah when the big red switch is off both of the sockets lose power, I can tell because both of the devices (hob and oven) plugged in don't have power to them once I flick the red switch.

And yes, I can access them when the oven is removed, which is not a tough job

Last edited by a moderator:
So depending on the rating of your new electric hob and current cable size you may just be able to change one of the sockets for an outlet plate. 

OK great, so how do I know what rating to look for, and what cable size? By cable size do you mean physical thickness of the cable from the current hob to the socket?

Whilst big red switch is off you could undo the socket fronts from wall and take a couple of pictures and post them up, we can take a look. 

Best I could do, but I could only get the left face off without risking breaking something, and I'm not that invested, I have no problem going for a gas hob in the end if this is all too much work

https://imgur.com/a/JIB2O76

I only see two sockets with plugs in? 

I would suggest that you have a local electrician take a look, shouldn’t cost too much for a professional to cast an eye over, they would then best advise what size hob you could have. 

Where are you on the map, perhaps one of us might be local? 

I only see two sockets with plugs in? 

I would suggest that you have a local electrician take a look, shouldn’t cost too much for a professional to cast an eye over, they would then best advise what size hob you could have. 

Where are you on the map, perhaps one of us might be local? 

It's an album, if you scroll down there's more. I'm in North Lincolnshire but I've already sorted a local electrician now.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it

Not a technical comment, but are you really sure you want an electric hob?  Mrs and myself consider gas better in every way. 

We acquired a glass top electric hob when we bought the bungalow but just couldn't get to like it and swapped to gas.

Not a technical comment, but are you really sure you want an electric hob?  Mrs and myself consider gas better in every way. 

We acquired a glass top electric hob when we bought the bungalow but just couldn't get to like it and swapped to gas.
Generally I agree with this. If you really want to go electric get an induction hob. Far better than an ordinary electric hob.

and it's attached to a 32A fuse on my main fuse box.
No 32 amp fuses. Are you sure it is not a MCB in a CU.

Latest posts