G'day sparkies new and old

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd introduce myself as a newbie to both this forum and noble profession...

After 25 years in an Operations Manager role in a large corporation I was made redundant last year 🎉. To be honest it was most welcome as it allowed me to try something new. 

I retrained* as an "Electrician" last autumn and am now stepping out as my own boss. I will not be doing this alone as I have a number of contacts to lean upon to plug the gap from not taking the more traditional route of apprenticeship. I know some time served Electricians have a dim view of "fast track" training courses (hence the " " in declaring myself one), but in my experience it has been great for me as somebody who has always been a competent DIYer. In addition to being comfortable around electrics, in my previous life I worked alongside engineers and designers on a regular basis both in maintaining and also project management. I was responsible for meeting EHS requirements, as well as many other regulatory expectations in UK.

I've seen a number of newbies torn to shreds for asking dumb questions, or not being transparent about their level of experience. Whilst I've seen a lot of ribbing from more experience sparkies, I do understand their concerns, especially given some of the poor installations shared by other users. 

I will not profess to know more than I do. I will also try and avoid asking questions I can easily look up, either in one of my many expensive books I now own or online [with some caution!!!].

My plan is to focus on renewables and energy conservation. I have courses booked for EVSE and Solar installations, which would have already taken place if it weren't for this damned pandemic. I intent to continue building my experience through similar professional courses as well as being 'on the tool'. 

I am currently not a member of a CPS, but intent to enroll with NAPIT in the coming months, as well as MCS in the fullness of time.

I welcome your thoughts and advice. I am aware of the constraints in not joining a contractor firm, but feel free to give me your tuppence worth.

*My official qualifications so far...

• EAL Level 3 Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings
  • EAL Level 3 Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671:2018
  • EAL Level 3 In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
  • EAL Level 2 Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
  • EAL Level 3 Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
  • EAL Level 3 Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
  • LCL Domestic Electrical Installer

Welcome to the Forum  Doodles  !   

've seen a number of newbies torn to shreds for asking dumb questions, or not being transparent about their level of experience.
I trust does NOT happen on here .   Please feel free to ask your questions .     

One of the problems experienced guys have is to read a post from a "Short courser"    and realise he should not be trading / being paid for whatever he,s doing ,  the poor levels of training are sometimes scary .  

Even after years in the trade we all learn something new ...a  thread appears on here  and you think " Blimey I never knew that !   "       We have had members who actually knew everything  but thankfully they've moved on .  :innocent

I get the impression you are a sensible guy  who knows his limitations and theres nowt wrong with that , we all started somewhere , so ask away  , you're new to the trade  with no pretensions , go for it !  

Enrolling with a CPS  is a good move  ,  no idea what MCS is to be honest .    Don't enroll  with any scheme you can do without , they just want your money .  

I've seen a number of newbies torn to shreds for asking dumb questions, or not being transparent about their level of experience. Whilst I've seen a lot of ribbing from more experience sparkies, I do understand their concerns, especially given some of the poor installations shared by other users. 

Firstly welcome.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with your statement above - what is frustrating is when people post and obviously haven't a clue what they are doing and don't answer basic questions, or when said posters complain that they aren't getting answers despite the fact they haven't given any updates .........

So ask away, give as much information as possible and when people ask questions - answer them as best as you can, then you and we will all benefit

Where are you based - may I suggest you update your location then you never know a poster may contact you directly about work - it has happened, or when somebody is asking for help you may get suggested as you are close to the poster...

Hope this helps

I wouldn't solely concentrate on MCS, there's a load of companies out there doing it and prices are getting cut throat, same a EVCP installation, it's the latest bandwagon everyone jumps on to make themselves millionaires. Rental periodic inspections are going the same way.

Better to ask a stupid question than do something stupid and hurt someone.

thanks guys.

My reference to newbies being torn a new one was not only from this forum, but a general sense across several I've seen recently. I think in most cases it was down to the individual trying to do something they were not competent to be doing and asking REALLY fundamental questions they should not have got through all the exams and assessments without knowing. 

I live in the North Herts/Central Beds region and would welcome any and all interaction. I know the importance of having a network and learning from those more experienced than yourself. pidgeon-poop catches up with everyone in the end..... I'm a great believing in Karma

I look forward to learning from the best of you 😉