Getting A Landlord Supply In Block Of Flats - Driving Me Mad

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richgem2004

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

if anyone can help me or shed any light on my situation I would be so grateful.

I have a block of 3 flats, converted years ago and not up to current standards so I had to fit communal lights and a mains fire alarm, I have no seperate supply for these to run off so I rang edf to get a landlords supply and meter put in. they advised me to split the supply off one of the flats, which I have done, I then had to send photos and certificates to prove it had all been done properly by qualified electrician etc which I have done and then after months of waiting and hearing nothing, yesterday I received the following email...

The Mpan request has been rejected for the following reaso

Landlords Supply - There are already 3 MPANs registered to no 6 and the 3ph in the photos looks like all the phases are in use.

can anyone please tell me what this means and how I go about getting a meter and supply for my fire alarm and light.

thank you in advance and seasons greetings

Gemma

it means they will probably want to charge thousands to put in a new supply...

might be easier to tap off one of the supplies already there, fit a meter then give them the money for the electricity used

Exactly Andy said. 3ph means 3 phases , which is the normal distribution for up to 3 supplies. The mpan numbers relate to each meters ( like serial/reference number).

An acceptable way to get round this is to have a Ryfield distribution board fitted directly after the supply head, before the meters.An electrician should do this in conjuction with the suppliers.

A Ryfield splits the supply, although you need 4 ways i think 6 is the smallest. As no real additional load is being connected i cant see it being refused.

can anyone please tell me what this means
It means EDF are a bunch of *******.

and how I go about getting a meter and supply for my fire alarm and light.
I'd ring them up and ask them why they are being dickish about it. I'm sure they would like to do it differently if it was being done completely from scratch but there isn't really a reason why they can't do it other than they don't want to. If they do really dig their heels in then you could sub-meter it from one of the flats, just bear in mind that the communal supply will depend on the tenant keeping the supply on!

Exactly Andy said. 3ph means 3 phases , which is the normal distribution for up to 3 supplies. The mpan numbers relate to each meters ( like serial/reference number).

An acceptable way to get round this is to have a Ryfield distribution board fitted directly after the supply head, before the meters.An electrician should do this in conjuction with the suppliers.

A Ryfield splits the supply, although you need 4 ways i think 6 is the smallest. As no real additional load is being connected i cant see it being refused.
I have just fitted a 3 way ryfield cost around £200 ex VAT they do a 4 way but the price rises dramatically.

What has EDF got to do with it? They do not appoint MPAN numbers.

Ryfield will make any size board for you. You will still need a 4th MPAN number however to apply for the meter however. You need to speak to the DNO and find out why they have come to their decision. There should be a direct dial number on the letter. I imagine you may have filled the application out incorrect and they think you are asking for a third MPAN instead of a fourth.

Round my way  UK Power networks do all (or sub out) works up to & involving the cutout. They will not do any alterations what so ever to existing, even a simple thing such as tapping a 4th cut out/fuse. Its strange though that at the moment , if a job is raised such as an old metal head needs changing whilst a  smart meter is  being fitted they are round to do that the same or next day. 

Anyhow, fitting a Ryfield though is not classed as a supply alteration.

I have just fitted a 3 way ryfield cost around £200 ex VAT they do a 4 way but the price rises dramatically.
I never understood why they make a 3phase 3 way board ( which has 3 fuseways) ?