Getting registered with the NICEIC.. help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njt

Reaction score
Over the last couple of years i've been thinking about retraining as an electrician. I've done and passed a Part P EAL course in Dec 2006, and have a fair bit of experience with electrical work doing jobs before the Part P regulations came in.

I'm a general builder/plasterer at the moment, but as i'm getting older the domestic electrical side is becoming more and more attractive.

I've spoken to someone at NICEIC (not particularly helpful) and he says that they need to inspect 5 jobs, a mixture he said was best then went on to contradict himself by saying that 5 PIRs would be ok.

It seems like a chicken and egg situation, can I do the work and say that "I'm in the process of becoming registered"

So what I'd like to know.. Am I allowed to do notifiable work (kitchen, bathroom, etc) before I get registered with the NICEIC? Is it a good idea to stump up the cash for a tester and just do the 5 PIRs? Or alternatively do some work for relatives (putting in new CUs, for example) and get them to inspect that?

Thanks.

Over the last couple of years i've been thinking about retraining as an electrician. I've done and passed a Part P EAL course in Dec 2006, and have a fair bit of experience with electrical work doing jobs before the Part P regulations came in.I'm a general builder/plasterer at the moment, but as i'm getting older the domestic electrical side is becoming more and more attractive.

I've spoken to someone at NICEIC (not particularly helpful) and he says that they need to inspect 5 jobs, a mixture he said was best then went on to contradict himself by saying that 5 PIRs would be ok.

It seems like a chicken and egg situation, can I do the work and say that "I'm in the process of becoming registered"

So what I'd like to know.. Am I allowed to do notifiable work (kitchen, bathroom, etc) before I get registered with the NICEIC? Is it a good idea to stump up the cash for a tester and just do the 5 PIRs? Or alternatively do some work for relatives (putting in new CUs, for example) and get them to inspect that?

Thanks.
Hi

NJT..

As a builder I assume you are familiar with LABC & planning Dept's etc..

Building regs Part P is just a branch of this relating to domestic electrical work, which should ensure that someone signs off the work to verify safety & compliance with BS7671 & Part P.

Approved document P gives guidance on this...

you may find it helpful to get, borrow or download a copy..

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&Action=Book&ProductID=0117036536&From=SearchResults

Any body can undertake the work..

but depending upon their qualifications / or lack of them!

the work will either be self certified or certified by LABC.

It is membership of one of the approved contractor scheme that allows you to self certify your work.

remember NICEIC is only one of the bodies..

http://www.niceic.org.uk/

there is also Napit

http://www.napit.org.uk/

Elecsa

http://www.elecsa.org.uk/

BRE certification

http://www.partp.co.uk/

BSI

http://www.bsi-global.com/en/ProductServices/Electrical/Electrical-installers/Part-P-information/

The first three are the most common..

may be worth checking the requirements of each one see what is best or you?

With ref to the actual electrical work.....

Document P details three basic routes.

a] self certify by a member of one of the approved contractor schemes.

b] competent to fill BS7671 certificates but not registered part P

c] DIY bob, not qualified to test fill out EIC or self certify.

If you can test & certify the work yourself, (i.e. got relevant C&G qual's) the option b] is what you would do.

You would provide the EIC & council provide the Part P compliance certificate.

Both b & c need you to notify building control before work commences..

LABC will advise you of the costs & any inspections they want to do.

Make sure you Notify them first!! keep the council happy & informed & should all go smoothly!

Any of this work can then be used as example to an assessment inspection.

NICEIC only normally want to see 2 jobs? not 5.

plus all of the correct paper work, meters etc..

hope this helps

SL

SL

Can i just add to your post

NJT

You may find that your LABC charges over the odds for notifying which would make the NIC NAPIT etc worth joining

i have to pay almost

Thanks for clearing that up, I couldnt quite get my head around the process. I thought it was more complicated than that. Of course, in the past, I've had to notify Building control about jobs - dunno why but I thought there was more to it... ?:|

Thats good news 'cos I've recently converted a basement, the electrical side of it was 2 new circuits (lights and ring) and a replacement of the CU. We're about to get Building control back to do the final inspection - their electrician was here last week and did a VERY brief test. I should be able to use this as my 1st inspection, shouldnt I?

As for the cost side of registering, I've been approached with a job-offer which I'm interested in however they specifically said "NICEIC registered". So if I want to pursue that line of jobs I'll have to get registered.

Anyway, thanks for the swift replies. You guys rock.

Hi m8.

If you register with nic as "domestic installer" e.g. allowed to self-certify; you only need to provide 2 jobs.

However, if you want to be an "approved contractor", then 5 jobs are required.

They generally dislike having 2 PIRs. One should be (D)EIC pref.

HTH

Otherwise, Mr. Special`s advice is spot on (as usual)

p.s. evenin` all!

Hi m8.If you register with nic as "domestic installer" e.g. allowed to self-certify; you only need to provide 2 jobs.

However, if you want to be an "approved contractor", then 5 jobs are required.
Ahhh!!!! :) :) :)

Thats where the 5 jobs figure comes from then!! :D :D:D

you live and learn:)

The question is?????

why didn't I read this post yesterday??

how did I miss that?

perhaps there are too many sub-sections on this forum??? ?:|

erm... NOP! all fine! just me been blind and not spottin it!!! :D :D

Evnin KME!when did you sneak on-line????? ?:|
Evenin` m8.

About 10 mins ago. Not going to be here very long though - bugga of a day:(

Got flippin soaked into the bargain:( :(