Going to be 40 looking to get into being an electrician as a second career after leaving the Navy in 1 Yr.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James4293

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the title says i am almost 40yr old and going to be leaving the Navy within the next 12-18 months. I have some money to put towards courses but after googling there is so many courses and conflicting information (mostly from companies trying to sell there own product).
I suppose i am looking for guidance and have a 3 part question.
1. What course should i be looking for, background i live in Aberdeen and although Offshore is not my aim i would like it to be a viable option if needed down the line.
2. When i have done the course i know if i was a young lad i would be getting an apprenticeship, What is the way in for an older starter. I am hoping to have at least the first year of learning (distance and evening) y the first year.
3. Is anyone on here that has went into the trade later in life how did you get strted.

Thanks for putting up with this if you got this far

J

Have you spoken to your local college? They would probably be the best advisers?
I know that some of the lads I worked with a couple of years ago were doing a course that they used to attend on a weekend but I think most of it is distance learning. That was with a training provider although it did cost a significant amount.
I would always suggest the local college first as they are not after your money like the training advisers so can give unbiased opinions and advice.

Hi All,

As the title says i am almost 40yr old and going to be leaving the Navy within the next 12-18 months. I have some money to put towards courses but after googling there is so many courses and conflicting information (mostly from companies trying to sell there own product).
I suppose i am looking for guidance and have a 3 part question.
1. What course should i be looking for, background i live in Aberdeen and although Offshore is not my aim i would like it to be a viable option if needed down the line.
2. When i have done the course i know if i was a young lad i would be getting an apprenticeship, What is the way in for an older starter. I am hoping to have at least the first year of learning (distance and evening) y the first year.
3. Is anyone on here that has went into the trade later in life how did you get strted.

Thanks for putting up with this if you got this far

J
There's a few posts already on here covering the same subject. I retrained at 42, but already had an electrical/ mechanical background. I took advantage of short C&G update courses, then worked with a friend to learn ' house bashing'. After that I took on small jobs for friends and family and built off the experience that gave me

Have you spoken to your local college? They would probably be the best advisers?
I know that some of the lads I worked with a couple of years ago were doing a course that they used to attend on a weekend but I think most of it is distance learning. That was with a training provider although it did cost a significant amount.
I would always suggest the local college first as they are not after your money like the training advisers so can give unbiased opinions and advice.
Hi,

No i haven't i presumed (wrongly) I wouldn't be able to be released from work for the last year however i could be for a PT course. I will be doing this on Friday to see best how to go forward and at what cost

There's a few posts already on here covering the same subject. I retrained at 42, but already had an electrical/ mechanical background. I took advantage of short C&G update courses, then worked with a friend to learn ' house bashing'. After that I took on small jobs for friends and family and built off the experience that gave me
I am glad to see it can still be done, I might try and find a local electrician whilst i am training to offer to help out/.

I am glad to see it can still be done, I might try and find a local electrician whilst i am training to offer to help out/.
you can learn the technical stuff quite easily with a lot of reading and spending time reading osts on this forum, what you can't learn from books is the practical skills, so if you can find someone prepared to let you work with them, that is ideal.

Good luck on accomplishing your goal.

Latest posts