Good PIR Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob23

Reaction score
Hi, I’m after a PIR light with good detection sensitivity and range.

Location: will be sited centrally along the length of a 6 metre path and approx 3m from the ground. Will be fed from a weatherproof box on the wall. To be 100% I can chain some single PIR’s each end of the wall and feed a single light etc, but if a good all-in-one solution is there, I’d rather go for that as it’s less work inside the house (not wanting any external cabling on show). Needs to be around 15-25w LED.

Any experience appreciated, was looking at PIR led Luceco sold in B&Q etc, just not wanting to put it on the wall and then find it won’t pickup both ends of the path!

Thanks

I find these things totally unpredictable. You say you want good sensitivity. I fitted one of these and finished up binning it because it was so sensitive the light was never off! I'll swear it could see birds flying over! I tried masking, etc https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-dion-outdoor-black-pir-sensor-180/388ft
With combined units you don't always get any or all adjustments. I have a Wickes round wall light from about ten years ago which is spot on. A floodlight from CPC I put on my garage has no settings, is fine for sensitivity and time but thinks it's dark mid afternoon in winter.
If you choose to put two detectors in parallel do yourself a favour by fitting switches so you can tell which one is playing you up.

Hi, I’m after a PIR light with good detection sensitivity and range.

Location: will be sited centrally along the length of a 6 metre path and approx 3m from the ground. Will be fed from a weatherproof box on the wall. To be 100% I can chain some single PIR’s each end of the wall and feed a single light etc, but if a good all-in-one solution is there, I’d rather go for that as it’s less work inside the house (not wanting any external cabling on show). Needs to be around 15-25w LED.

Any experience appreciated, was looking at PIR led Luceco sold in B&Q etc, just not wanting to put it on the wall and then find it won’t pickup both ends of the path!

Thanks

Most PIR sensors typically have a range anywhere between 8m to 12m..

Combined Lights with integral PIRs are the work of the devil!
Especially if they have a non-replaceable LED lamp..

As it may be the PIR part that fails on a perfectly good working light..

I stopped supplying integral lights with PIR's many many, many, many years ago..
If a customer has already bought their own light with PIR then I will fit it for them..
But NEVER supply and fit!

Some PIR's only have Time & Lux adjustments,
Others have Time, Lux & Range sensitivity.

Re Geoff's testing comment..
If multiple PIRs are used, some Lever Wago's in a weatherproof box can make later isolation of individual PIR's easier..

Latest posts