Google Nest Doorbell troubleshooting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonmoneill

Reaction score
Hi Electrical Gurus,

I recently installed a new Google Nest Door bell, the bell works off battery (rechargeable, needs to be charged every 2-3 months), its wifi enabled and workes perfected with a Google Nest Hub (Think Ipad type device on my counter top) All is working fine when someone rings the doorbell there face and a chime comes up on the Hub.

The area i'm having trouble with is getting the indoor chime to work (The Google Hub chime does not but its not very load).
So i'm trying to use the existing wire and existing indoor chime to the Google Nest Doorbell. In the box when i bought it are two little connectors to connect to the existing chime. The old door bell didn't work and now when connected to the new Google Nest doorbell the chime is consistent and does not work.

if anyone is interesting helping me troubleshoot this one that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Leon

Sorry maybe i wasn't clear.

The problem, when you i press the button on the doorbell the indoor chime does not work.

Well, i just moved into the house so i don't now if the old doorbell or the chime was the issue. Maybe both.

TECH SPECS ARE HERE: https://store.google.com/product/nest_doorbell_battery_specs?hl=en-GB

Chime and compatibility
chevron_right
Battery installation · If you choose battery installation for your Nest Doorbell…
Battery installation
If you choose battery installation for your Nest Doorbell (battery), you can get a notification on your phone and on your Google Assistant-enabled speakers and displays when someone presses the button. Your existing wired doorbell chime will not ring.
Wired installation
If you choose the optional wired installation for your Nest Doorbell (battery) by connecting it to your existing doorbell wires (8 to 24 VAC, 10 VA, 50/60 Hz transformer), your existing wired doorbell chime can ring when someone presses the button. You can also get a notification on your phone and on your Google Assistant-enabled speakers and displays.

Does anyone know this would be the norm in Ireland? (8 to 24 VAC, 10 VA, 50/60 Hz transformer) chime

I've not fitted any of the new ones but the old ones you need to upgrade most transformers to a 16-24v one, bg do a good one and the indoor chime would work fine, if wired with the chime connector, that would also mean you don't have to charge it up too.

leonmoneill, since you do not know if the existing door chime worked or not, I suggest you have two choices.

1) Leave the nest doorbell alone, and get the existing door bell to work first. (Then continue with the nest doorbell)

2) Buy a new doorbell and transformer and start from scratch.

I also note that most doorbell transformers are NOT suitable to operate a google doorbell, and most people change them to a suitable transformer.

This is the ~IOP Internet of problems.

It won't catch any crooks anyway but you will waste many hours rebooting things when the last doorbell lasted 50 years without attention

These doorbells must be installed independently from an existing doorbell, also mentioned earlier using the right transformer battery operational doorbells ring and nest will always bring issues once fully loaded on the system. Best get a 24vac transformer and hard wire it..