Grandson crashes my new car, oops!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm well known for being a grumpy old git,and certain warnings I take very seriously, like the one that says, "always keep away from children", I've been doing this successfully for a while now. Anyway my 10 year old grandson came over and ended up playing with a neighbours son, I was made up because he's really shy and doesn't mix well, the lad had an expensive RC car and my lad was loving it, so I decided to buy one.

it cost me £140 and there's no way he's being given it, it's not his birthday so he's not getting spoiled, well what do I want an expensive RC car for? I don't, so I tell him he can borrow it but, he's got to look after it and he's got to repair any damage, basically it's brand new and when I want it back it has to look the same as when he took it. I'm trying to teach him a bit of responsibility, his mum and dad agreed with me and he's spent every spare minute playing with the car.

The other afternoon something went wrong and he hit a kerb at high speed, bent a drive shaft and damaged a wishbone! The parts are about a fiver and his dad said that not only did he have to pay for them but as it was his fault he has to pay the petrol to go and get them, again he's trying to teach the lad the cost of his carelessness. Young Ethan (my grandson) on hearing his dad is going to charge him for the petrol replied, "well I'll get granddad to take me then, I bet he won't charge me petrol", my son replied, "true, but you know that grandads busy and he charges £25 an hour" young Ethan replied "ok dad, then I guess I'm buying the petrol".

The lad is learning already.