green sleeving/switch wires when upgrading consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10tucker

Reaction score
Hi all just thought i would post my first thread and say hello , i'm a second year apprentice in east mids.

How many of you sparks when changing a consumer unit to 17th go through the old installation and change the old green cpc sleeving to green/yellow and if switch wire sleeving is missing or is old sparky red tape replace with new sleeving. At the moment the i'm firm with have got alot of cu upgrades and we do a peroidic first to see how bad/good installation is but other apprentices at college reckon they don't think you have to bother just put it on EIC as does tuter.

As the PIR is being carried out, you would usually inpect 10% of fittings. If I spot no cpc sleeve, I`ll usually do it at the percentage I open. Then I`ll mark it down as a code 4. You do not have to do it at all, but, as you`ve opened the fitting to inspect anyway.....why not???

My take on this is as follows:-

When you install a new board to the 17th it's wise to do some tests before changing it to ensure that you aren't chasing faults at the end of the day in failing light - i.e N-E faults/very poor insulation resistance. Anything that could cause problems.

Your earthing and bonding should be up to regs and you should ensure that the CU has been installed correctly so insulation, polarity and Zs etc on all attached circuits are required. I.e as per EIC. Use limitations and cover your back.

If for example the insulation resistance on one circuit is 1M - then it may not be up to current regs and the customer should be informed - but you shouldn't take it on yourself to put it right at your cost. The work you have done can only have improved the installation! Similarly if there are single insulated wires at pendants - inform the customer - but in effect it's nothing to do with the work that you carried out.

Regarding changing green sleeving to green/yellow for the whole installation - why? It's insulated - it's safe and to the best of my knowledge electricity is colourblind! I would just note this on a PIR - but wouldn't advocate changing is as there is no safety hazard.

Sorry DTG, misread O/P :(

If green sleeving, I wouldn`t change.

Any non-compliances MUST be marked on EIC, otherwise you`re liable for `em!

Nice post Dave. Managed to say what I wanted to say, but wasn`t sober enough!

Thanks for the info guys thats what the lads at college said, the past two boards i,ve done with my trainer he's had me take every socket off replace earth sleeving to green/yellow and all switch's and pendants off to do switch wires. I just wondered how thorough you have to be when doing a board change, you would never get it all done in a day if you had to do it on your own. moving furniture etc. think he's does 100% of every circuit not 10% :|