Grid-tied solar inverter dual MPPT, is there a product offer 3 DC inputs?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joreen

Reaction score
Time has come to replace my good old Sunny boy inverter which has worked hard for almost 10 years. I have 9 panels facing east wired into one string, and 10 panels facing south wired into two strings (5 panels each string). These 3 DC inputs work fine with the current Sunny boy inverter because each MPPT has 2 DC inputs. I have searched for replacement inverter and haven’t found any product which accommodates 3 DC inputs. What is my options: 1) get a Solis or SolaX, ask an installer up onto the roof to rewire those 10 panels into one string, then have 2 DC inputs connected to Solis/SolaX; or 2) is there a way the 10 south facing panels can be combined into 1 DC input prior to inverter? Going up to the roof to rewire the panels is costly and installers are all very busy currently. My system is 3.5kw, there are 3 external DC isolators. Any suggestion and help is appreciated.

Time has come to replace my good old Sunny boy inverter which has worked hard for almost 10 years. I have 9 panels facing east wired into one string, and 10 panels facing south wired into two strings (5 panels each string). These 3 DC inputs work fine with the current Sunny boy inverter because each MPPT has 2 DC inputs. I have searched for replacement inverter and haven’t found any product which accommodates 3 DC inputs. What is my options: 1) get a Solis or SolaX, ask an installer up onto the roof to rewire those 10 panels into one string, then have 2 DC inputs connected to Solis/SolaX; or 2) is there a way the 10 south facing panels can be combined into 1 DC input prior to inverter? Going up to the roof to rewire the panels is costly and installers are all very busy currently. My system is 3.5kw, there are 3 external DC isolators. Any suggestion and help is appreciated.
funnily enough I mentioned SMA and the 3 inputs about an hour ago on another thread - spooky!

without knowing the panel spec I would think 10 panels on a single string should be fine, this can be achieved at the inverter by joining the strings there

oh, didn't see that thread --

The panels are 200w, operating voltage 36.6V, current 5.48A, open circuit voltage 45.4V, short circuit current 5.8A

The Sunny boy sb4000-20 has stopped working, PE connection missing error
earthing issue, SMAs are very fussy about earth connections. If you are on an earth rod (TT system) chuck a bucket of water on the rod and soak the ground around it. If you havn't got an earth rod, then fitting one connected to the inverter case can solve the issue - as customer of mine had this problem.