Growatt vs Pylontech batteries

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by bimble solar that pylontech batteries will shut down after 15mins if they have no bms comms... I was considering them until they told me that, as my inverter doesnt yet fully support the pylon protocol..
Hi, what inverter is that please? I’m due to get fox ess inverter installed next week and getting pylontech 2000 x 3 installed with it. Should I be concerned? (Very little tech background here). Thanks

Hi, what inverter is that please? I’m due to get fox ess inverter installed next week and getting pylontech 2000 x 3 installed with it. Should I be concerned? (Very little tech background here). Thanks
Hi, unfortunately i dont know about that inverter, mine is an epever uphi3000 hm10022. (chinese so no supprise there) Id email the inverter company and ask...

John, you seem to have exactly the same configuration that was proposed to me (make of panels, inverter, bateries). Any chance you had them installked by Skylar Solar?

John, you seem to have exactly the same configuration that was proposed to me (make of panels, inverter, batteries). Any chance you had them installed by Skylar Solar?
Mine was done by World of Solar using a local contractor. It was a great service from start to finish their system designer that i dealt with directly (Ryan Oliver) was great, knew his stuff and was happy to bounce ideas around. I really wanted to get away from the normal 3.6kW inverter to make best use of the battery and panels even though it made more paperwork etc, there were other things too ZAPPI, EDDI and HARVI all in the mix and done at the same time.
If you'd like a chat and a quote from Ryan, I can give you his details.

J

John - thank you so much.
I got a quote from Skylar Solar - just over 17K. Eye waterring but maybe this is what it costs now.
This is for 17x 410w Hyundai panels, Growatt SPH6000, 2x Growat batteries GBLI6531 and a few Tigo optimisers. Panels will be on both sides of the house (orientation: South & West) so additional cost with scaffolding. Anyway they only do Growatt systems these days. After quick research I got loads of negative reviews so was initially quite aprehensive.

What is your experience with that system? If you had opportunity to choose again would you go for the same?

My main objective is to charge batteries from solar and in winter months from grid. The system needs to work well with Zappi & Eddi and in near-future with air-to-air heat pump.
If I find I'm not happy with the inverter can Growatt batteries be used with another brand? Can I add more batteries in the future? (Growatt says only 1-2 allowed; but my installed claims they sometimes install eg 4 batteries without need for second inverter so I'm not sure who is right).

John - thank you so much.
I got a quote from Skylar Solar - just over 17K. Eye waterring but maybe this is what it costs now.
This is for 17x 410w Hyundai panels, Growatt SPH6000, 2x Growat batteries GBLI6531 and a few Tigo optimisers. Panels will be on both sides of the house (orientation: South & West) so additional cost with scaffolding. Anyway they only do Growatt systems these days. After quick research I got loads of negative reviews so was initially quite aprehensive.

What is your experience with that system? If you had opportunity to choose again would you go for the same?

My main objective is to charge batteries from solar and in winter months from grid. The system needs to work well with Zappi & Eddi and in near-future with air-to-air heat pump.
If I find I'm not happy with the inverter can Growatt batteries be used with another brand? Can I add more batteries in the future? (Growatt says only 1-2 allowed; but my installed claims they sometimes install eg 4 batteries without need for second inverter so I'm not sure who is right).
My system is also split between a south facing and west facing roof's.

From what I understand, earlier Growatt inverters were potentially troublesome, the later SPH series are fine. They do have one odd trait at panels start and panels stop charging, they wont support the house power despite having charge available in the battery until 5 to 10 minutes has passed. According to the boffins the inverter is doing a self test.

I would be happy to use the same again, the system works and works well. Zappi and Eddi are fine, I used a Harvi too to connect the CT's into the system via WiFi.

I'm adding more batteries and an inverter to increase the capacity on both fronts. I'm adding a Victron Inverter (5kW) and a homebuilt battery (14kWh) in the hope I can stay completely off peak rate electricity. The SPH series will only talk to 2 batteries according to the manual. Inverter / battery comms are not essential, nice to have but can run without.

Thanks John.
Another question - what happens if your house load exceeds solar production? And what happens when your load exceeds max rating of the inverter?

I just read on Growatt Facebook that either of two things happen on SPF range depending on setting:
- SUB: Utility (grid) compliments Solar if Load > Solar
- SBU: Batterry compliments Solar but only up to max inverter rating (or twice that for 5sec). If load exceeds max inverter rating it simply shuts down and stays in Stanby unlit Load < Inverter capacity.

I would very much prefer that SPH uses battery when solar is insufficient and grid delivers the rest if inverter is not able to (either above 6kw or where no solar / charge left). How does it work for you?

Thanks John.
Another question - what happens if your house load exceeds solar production? And what happens when your load exceeds max rating of the inverter?

I just read on Growatt Facebook that either of two things happen on SPF range depending on setting:
- SUB: Utility (grid) compliments Solar if Load > Solar
- SBU: Batterry compliments Solar but only up to max inverter rating (or twice that for 5sec). If load exceeds max inverter rating it simply shuts down and stays in Stanby unlit Load < Inverter capacity.

I would very much prefer that SPH uses battery when solar is insufficient and grid delivers the rest if inverter is not able to (either above 6kw or where no solar / charge left). How does it work for you?
It uses the panels and the battery if more is needed to supply the load. There are options that can be set to change the preferences and priorities.

If you exceed the inverter output eg a load of 10kW, the inverter would supply its max output if there was sufficient solar or battery and rest would come from the grid. In this example the 10kW would be made up by 6kW from the inverter and 4 kW from the grid.

Perfect - thank you!

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.