Had a right mare testing today....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....and I have to go back tomorrow :(

I've been testing some flats today,,,, been asked to test communal areas, submains and all flats

What I didn't really figure for (although I knew it really) was that the property had been bedsits...

So, I've been asked to start in the first floor flat... It's basically 4 rooms.... each with a DB, 3 of them with private pre-payment....

It's taken me all day to fix a couple of issues that the tenant has come across, to figure out the submains and to test the final circuits

One of the reasons it's taken so long is that some Clown (Crown Electrical) has replaced the CU's that are in the communal area, that supply the rest of everything!

The certificate (dated 2008) bares very little resemblance to the certificate... In the Extent of the installation covered by this certificate he's put "Entire installation" ,,,,, now I know that he hasn't rewired the entire installation,,, if he has he needs shooting..

A couple of issues that I've found.... doubled up sub mains on individual OCPD's,,,,,, a 80A 30mA RCD main switch feeding the 3 flats,,,,,, at least 2 x T&E sub mains fed directly from the henly blocks (I know that one of these is to a bathroom, I'm guessing that the other is also  -  would have been shared bathrooms when the rooms were bedsits),, DB & CU mounting boards not fixed to the walls very well,,, and I'm sure that there will be loads more to come

It could do with it TBH,,, but I can't see that happening

The best that I can hope for is that the sub main protection is sorted out and simplified,,, and meters moved to a better area

I'm thinking that the Main switch RCD for 3 flats deserves a C2 by it's self

Then theres all the T&E sub mains into the meters just stripped and CPC's twisted together.... another C2

Thankfully the council are in on this job... I met one of the housing officers there this morning.... so they will be able to force through the remedials

No... although it seems that way... the landlord wants long term tenants

Like I say... it was bedsits so each room has a prepayment meter.... so that means each flat has at least 3 x prepayment meters... and they seem to be set at around 19p/unit