Hadrill & Horstmann lamp renovation ...wiring 101

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRP4759

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, thank you for having me

I've been doing up an old 'vintage' (70s, I think) design desk called a 'Simplus' by Handrill and Horstmann - it's a bit like an anglepoise.
Much like the one in this ebay sale: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20384622...&customid=16476299503839157034412021000008005

When I got it, mine was missing a couple of bits and, after not taking phots before I took it apart, I was left with lots of bits of metal and wires and a limited idea of how to put them back together.

What I have right now is the frame all set up and ready for reassembly, and some nifty fittings I got online (bakelite switch, lamp/bulb holder, plug etc), but I'm not sure how to earth it at the lamp-head end. The switch and the plug I managed by myself!

There are only two points, for the neutral and live, at the actual fitting which harbours the bulb and screws the head on, and I've got a three-core cable to attach.
It had three core originally, but I'm not entirely sure how it was originally earthed.
There is a hole in the back of the lamp-head where it may have been, but I was hoping for some advice. The lamp is of course metal.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Best,
Jim

Nice looking table lamp, there is often a small brass screw post on the bottom part of the lamp holder, there is other arrangements but I would say that is the most common.

Attachments

• 6D645118-20F1-4849-8EF5-0E4DDCA4ED3B.jpeg
    6D645118-20F1-4849-8EF5-0E4DDCA4ED3B.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
It has
Hi, thanks for the replies, I'm afraid that the lamp holder I have is this one, made of bakelite - it replaces the plastic one that was there when i took the thing on,

: https://www.dykeanddean.com/product...nDete6oYEU3gaAkbYEALw_wcB&variant=11525592513
it hasn't got the screw post on the brass version, I think it's a 70s version of the Simplus, rather than a 30s or 50s one, but I'm throwing it back tot he 30s/50s with bakelite and a replacement cloth-covered cord.

The cable only needs to be two core you don't need an earth.

If like the ebay image, the lamp frame is metal, it should be earthed. I would consider replacing the lamp holder with a brass version with the earth terminal. The later versions had this added for safety. Failing that unwind the earth cable of your cotton covered cable and earth the base of the unit. That would allow you to use the bakelite lamp holder.

If like the ebay image, the lamp frame is metal, it should be earthed. I would consider replacing the lamp holder with a brass version with the earth terminal. The later versions had this added for safety. Failing that unwind the earth cable of your cotton covered cable and earth the base of the unit. That would allow you to use the bakelite lamp holder.
The eBay image shows a brass lamp holder which must be earthed the framework does not need an earth in fact the earthed brass lamp holder in the image would only give a tenuous earth to this framework.

Latest posts