Hand tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to get myself some new screw drivers, side cutters etc and it made me wonder. Do any of you guys stick with just one manufacturer or do you mix and match? There are so many tool manufacturers out there now like CK, Knipex etc. My last lot of hand tools were CK, but I have to be honest and say I don't really rate them.

What do you guys favour?

The other reason for asking is because I'm bored :z

Knipex are a good make.

I have a pair of side cutters from TLC - Knippex are pricey. :(

But - You have to pay for quality. :|

I like Wera screwdrivers. They oulast anything else I've had.

I got some CK Combicutters and some Stanley sidecutters and combination pliers and I like them :)

I like CK - Just look for the "Made in Germany" mark, and 8/10 they will be quality. :)

Why would you have those tools, being a Vet - Apache? :|

]:)

I like CK - Just look for the "Made in Germany" mark, and 8/10 they will be quality. :) Why would you have those tools, being a Vet - Apache? :|

]:)
Apache likes making things. do woodturning bit of crude woodwork, DIY maintanance. I have quite a comprehensive tool kit :)

I used to buy the cheapest I could but it's such false ecomomy. I now buy the best I can afford or fit into my 'workshop' :)

I have mix and match odds and sods

but the only 2 makes that outlast the rest are.... wera and ck

not too pricey ....

the best ever crosshead screwdriver i had cost me

I use Knipex side cutters. Screwdrivers i use CK but what usually happens they break when you use them for the wrong thing.

batty

What do you think of Draper tools, Guys?

Personally, I think that they have come a long way over the years and I would use them.

In Fact, I do use them.

What do you think of Draper tools, Guys? Personally, I think that they have come a long way over the years and I would use them.

In Fact, I do use them.
I had some draper stuff few years ago when I was buying cheap tools and they were ok. Better than the el cheapo B&Q,SF own brand but not upto the 'pro' standard

IMO

I use Knipex side cutters. Screwdrivers i use CK but what usually happens they break when you use them for the wrong thing.batty
like what pray tell ?????Thats not the fault of the screwdriver manufacturer !!!! :^O

and it doesnt make it cheap and nasty !!!! :^O

lifting manhole covers are not what screwdrivers were made for:p

I didn't say it was the manufacturers fault. It usually is because i have used the wrong size screwdriver to undo something.

batty

Hi guys being a newbie I've just started to look out for tools. I've got some nws cutters and wire strippers and I think these are really good. However not really gave them any hammer yet so time will tell

I have wera screwdrivers they have been excellent for well over 2 years. I also have some knipex cable shears they are excellent for cutting heavy duty cable well worth a buy if working on SWA.

But the biggest surprise is that i bought some wickes cheap side cutters had them for 4 years and still going and still reasonably sharp.

Have bought some Halfords profesional tools before. They used to be quite cheap and I dont know if its the case now but they use to come with a lifetime garantee

elliot lucas pliers and side cutter 8inch they are the best i have come across

bought a set of draper screwdrivers and was very surprised thought they will do for now

that was 2 years ago

Draper "value" range are your cheap DIY tools

Draper "expert" are the mid range decent tools which are actually pretty good

However "Knipex" are by far the best out of the draper book and if you find a decent retailer you can get good discount ( up to 40% ), never pay book price for all of the above or you are not getting a good deal

elliot lucas pliers and side cutter
I used to use them in the UK thought they were real good

Irazola screwdrivers those Orange coloured things are utter crap especially the Philips drivers

I like Knipex as i find them just the right size. I