Have you read that rubbish...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another point , i learnt years ago but also in GN8 (you know, its only a guidance book). Many accessories only have the earth connected to one screw hole. If this does not connect with the fixed lug of a box then this does not meet the regs requirement if no fly-lead to the box is present.

I have found many sockets that fail a Zs test due to these faults.

point taken slips, i may have been a little hasty,

but in all honesty if anyone remotely calling themselves a spark was using conduit etc as a cpc then yes I would agree to using a flylead to earth the accessory,

the bias being on earthing the accessory, not the back box.

my point was in being that if the accessory is earthed (via T&E for example) then there is absolutley no viable reason to earth the back box, after all its buried in a wall that should already be at earth potential.

metal clad surface mount is slightly different as you must ensure all accessible metallic parts are earthed.

as for laughing off the regs, that is most cetainly not the case, but i follow them as was IMHO intended, not to the letter.

if I followed them as they are written then i dont think i would ever find a job with no faults whatsoever.

how many people actually go around labelling every switch with the fuse number, or tagging every cable with the circuit number at every termination?

yes that is what the regs say, all conductors properly identified!!

when was the last time you opened a CU and the neutrals were numbered on the actual cable, not the terminals.

Ok, calm down, calm down!

This is getting like the other place!

It would seem, IMHO, that if you are relying on T+E or singles with a CPC to supply a earth to the socket earth on a faceplace (metal or plastic) then a bond to a metal backbox would be good practice.

If you are dealing with a metal conduit system that uses the conduit as a CPC then you must bond the faceplate earth from the backbox or else there is no earth to the socket earth!

Just bond the ******, it's only a bit of 2.5mm yellow and green cable!

I agree with all of your last post Steptoe :eek: :eek: :eek:

I did my apprenticeship on a large firm where we did label every single cable at the termination.

Still today on commercial/industrial jobs i make sure all accessories are labeled with the circuit and board numbers .I was also taught to line screw heads up with the accessory , conduit etc and i do mark cables in 3 phase boards as the neutral and earth bars normally have no apparent order.

It was common up to about 1974 to use metal containment's as the cpc with no other connections. Probably when the 14th edition came out this practice stopped.

There are some good points made on this thread.

:)

Hi all,

My first comment on here.

I have just recently wired a new workshop i had built for my "toys". The wiring was inspected by a local NIC sparks. During the testing the subject of earthing the back-box was discussed. He told me of one of his younger lads who was adamant it didn't need it. It turns out, there is no longer a requirement to, assuming their used to be. It seems from that conversation and this thread that some sort of clarification is needed. I did earth them incidentally.

P.S. Great site, found it from SF. Much friendlier, thanks. BZ to the makers.:8}

Fitz.

Welcome to the forum Safedepth, Thank you for your kind comments.

:)