Have you read that rubbish...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wabbitwabbit

Posted by 'Lokkars Daisy' has posted over at SF about how HE thinks that the NICEIC are printing misleading information?

That is really rich coming from someone that does the same most of the time :^O

Posted by 'Lokkars Daisy' has posted over at SF about how HE thinks that the NICEIC are printing misleading information?That is really rich coming from someone that does the same most of the time :^O
I do not know what the said l/daisy is refering to as i have not read the post ,but a mate of mine is nic and we can not agree on the earthing of back boxes he says they must be earthed my, info is if they have one fixed lug it is o.k not to? do you know reg no in 17th for this? Thank you? :|

I do not know what the said l/daisy is refering to as i have not read the post ,but a mate of mine is nic and we can not agree on the earthing of back boxes he says they must be earthed my, info is if they have one fixed lug it is o.k not to? do you know reg no in 17th for this? Thank you? :|
Earthing of back boxes, is best practice only (up to the 16th), but whether this has been changed in the 17th, anybody?

Thanks for that i am trawling the 17th at this moment but not finding the answer:D
The On site Guide is being updated, along with a few other titles (to incorporate the 17th)...

Don

Agreed there is best practice and there are the regs and the two often disagree.

Any decent spark would earth a backbox. No doubt Lokkars great wisdom will enlighten lesser mortals than him over at that dump SF.

The On site Guide is being updated, along with a few other titles (to incorporate the 17th)...Don
Every time i earn something i have to spend it on updating my libary:_|

DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE NEW OSG WILL BE PRINTED? oops sorry about capitals. :D

you do NOT have to earth a back box, not ever in any circumstance, its only a recommendation, sometimes a supplementary(local council) reg.

it is only a requirement to provide an earth to any accessible part

ie, the fixing screw of a plastic plate, or obviously the plate of a metal clad.

this is the reg, tho I would AGREE totally that you should earth the back box, but its not a must do.

you do NOT have to earth a back box, not ever in any circumstance, its only a recommendation, sometimes a supplementary(local council) reg.it is only a requirement to provide an earth to any accessible part

ie, the fixing screw of a plastic plate, or obviously the plate of a metal clad.

this is the reg, tho I would AGREE totally that you should earth the back box, but its not a must do.
The Don is happy..

Every time i earn something i have to spend it on updating my libary:_|DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE NEW OSG WILL BE PRINTED? oops sorry about capitals. :D
I read on the Amazon website that O-S-Guide, date is 30 May 2008???

haven't seen it anywhere else yet..

unless someone else knows of a supplier???????

you do NOT have to earth a back box, not ever in any circumstance, its only a recommendation, sometimes a supplementary(local council) reg.it is only a requirement to provide an earth to any accessible part

Thanks for the replys all ,Flicked through a book which stated-

During the lifetime of an installation corrosion may result in a poor connection.

Under earth fault conditions the protective device may fail to operate in required time leading to overheating and possible electric shock.

I always use this method but we had to sort out the fact that you do have to or you do not and all replys seem to be spot on.ssab

Very wrong. It is a requirement when the containment (conduit, trunking etc) is the Cpc. I can't be bothered to get my books out the van now to quote the reg no.

Very wrong. It is a requirement when the containment (conduit, trunking etc) is the Cpc. I can't be bothered to get my books out the van now to quote the reg no.
then if you have properly terminated your containment, conduit/trunking etc your back box is earthed by default is it not.

as for the tail of earth to the plate, that is exactly that, an earth to the accessory, not the other way round.

you are ensuring the plate is earthed, not the back box(unless M/C), or as I stated, all exposed metalwork.

then if you have properly terminated your containment, conduit/trunking etc your back box is earthed by default is it not.as for the tail of earth to the plate, that is exactly that, an earth to the accessory, not the other way round.

you are ensuring the plate is earthed, not the back box(unless M/C), or as I stated, all exposed metalwork.
Reg 543-02-07 (Page 117 of the brown book) 'Where the protective conductor is formed by conduit, trunking, ducting or the metal sheath and/or armour of a cable, the earthing terminal of each accessory shall be connected by a seperate protective conductor to an earthing terminal incorporated in the associated box or other enclosure'

if you need an instruction book to tell you how to wire then Im at a lose as to what to say.

all you have to do is prove earth continuity to all exposed metalwork.

I agree that tags are good practice, but thats all they are.

the regs are NOT statutory, thats why you are allowed deviations.

you will not be condemned to eternity in damnation if you fail to follow the instruction book bs7671 to the last full stop.

but you will start to pull this forum back down to the depths of that other place we all escaped from by quoting regs left right and centre.

I will freely admit to flaunting bs7671 frequently, but only because I can prove otherwise beyond doubt that my install meets all relevant safety measures.

how many people here actually do a 50v test on a regular basis?

Points taken. However i think this could be a potentially dangerous situation where you gave wrong information. I noticed here and in other threads when challenged with regs you make snide comments and try to laugh it off, pot, kettle ?

In the case of a conduit being the cpc then you are not earthing the accessory, as you put it, but ensuring the earth continuity is at a socket outlet. Only today i visited a job where the decorator had all the sockets hanging off whilst stripping the walls with a electric steamer, the place was dripping. All the sockets were conduit fed with no cpc cable. This meant all the cables and leads supplying the metal steamer, drills, kettle, lead light etc were now unearthed. Now we all know that you should not remove a faceplate without isolating the supply, but try telling that to a decorator, plasterer or chippy. The other point to note is in the conduit cpc situation the screws holding the socket to the wall would be taking the full fault current of anything plugged in. When fed by Tw&e cable the fly lead is only 'bonding' the back-box in addition to the screws.