Heat pump supply no RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdiddy

Reaction score
I have a new two month old 18th edition consumer unit with RCBO protection for each  circuit and a simple main switch. The house has a TT supply but has been converted in the past by the DNO to be PME. I am having an air source heat pump installed (panasonic Aquerea) and yesterday come back to two 32 amp MCB's therefore offering no RCD protection to the outside heat pump isolators. Does this sound ok to you or is this a violation of BS 7671 411.3.3 ? I expected to have installed 100mA RCBO's and whist the actual device may include a built in RCD the cable would not be protected right?

EIC and part pI would recommend you ask the installers this question by email 

and ask them for the EIC and part p

then tell us what they say
Thanks I will do that today. I have handover later this morning so will ask then and make sure they give it in writing.

I doubt the heat pump has an internal rcd, if it has it would be a major PITA if it ever tripped.

Any heat pump I have seen (including my own) is fed from it's own rcbo.

Why does it need 2 supplies?

I doubt the heat pump has an internal rcd, if it has it would be a major PITA if it ever tripped.

Any heat pump I have seen (including my own) is fed from it's own rcbo.

Why does it need 2 supplies?
I dont know there are two ASHP supplies with isolators on the wall each with a 32A MCB protecting it The product is a Panasonic Aquarea WH-MDC07H3E5 i believe. I agree from that it probably doesn't have a RCD. Actually according to the full installation manual the values for the circuit breakers are too high too and should be RCD protected (see here). As someone who religiously follows instructions it seems unfortunate that this isn't being done here.

ok, doesn't sound right, but as you have been conveted to PME, there are possible exceptions to RCD protection for that equipment, eg the cable runs have been installed in such a way as not to need it. 

Ah ok so the isolators are literally through the wall (out back of CU) to the outside and along by 2m inside plastic conduit. Does that make it better?

Sounds like it does  jdiddy  ,   the cables are not buried in the walls where they can be  drilled , screwed  etc ,  .   The Panasonic unit isn't an outside socket .

What do the manufacturer's instructions say about RCD  protection .  ?      

Sounds like it does  jdiddy  ,   the cables are not buried in the walls where they can be  drilled , screwed  etc ,  .   The Panasonic unit isn't an outside socket .

What do the manufacturer's instructions say about RCD  protection .  ?      
Only you should comply with wiring regulations. use a 15/16A ce and Recommend (whatever recommend means) using 30mA 2P Type A RCD and 30mA 2p Type AC RCD