Heated Towel Rail

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new 350W electric heated towel rail. I live out in the country and have no gas or oil heating. We are on economy 7 tarrif. We have night storage heaters wired off their own CU. I have access to the supply to a storage heater in a loft space (the cable in the loft, the heater's in the kitchen). Think it's wired in 6mm T&E. It's on it's own on a 16A MCB.

What I want to do is split the 6mmT&E in the loft using a JB, T off to the towel rail in 1.5mm T&E and run it to a 13A Sw FCU and run the flex from the towel rail into this. It will be in (the old) zone 3. The run from the proposed JB to the FCU is onlyabout 8 metres.

Any helpful suggestions welcome. Is this how you'd do it? (I only want the rail heated at night on the cheap(er) rate electricity)

Thanks

It is just my opinion here, but:

What good is a overnight towel rail? :)

The whole point of electric towel rails is that they use a modest amount of electricity and are used instead of running the heating during the day/summer months etc..

As for the electrical method, I would say its a fudge really..

There is the issue of RCD protection as well (17th edition).

Thanks for your reply. The idea really is to take the chill off in the bathroom overnight and to dry the towels on the cheap electric. We have no central heating in the house and only a fan heater in the bathroom.

I had a new CU 9 mths ago (properly with certs!) to the 16th, at the moment I can't afford to pay a spark to do te job and i'm not worried about RCD atm.

In zone 3 is any IP rating required for the FCU?

Thanks for your reply. The idea really is to take the chill off in the bathroom overnight and to dry the towels on the cheap electric. We have no central heating in the house and only a fan heater in the bathroom.I had a new CU 9 mths ago (properly with certs!) to the 16th, at the moment I can't afford to pay a spark to do te job and i'm not worried about RCD atm.

In zone 3 is any IP rating required for the FCU?
Zone 3 doesn't exist anymore..

As for the fused connection unit, can you fit this on the other side of the wall?

I did say 'old zone 3' in first post.

FCU would have to be in bathroom or i'd have to extend the flex on the towel rail.

Would a FCU with RCD satisfy the regs or does the whole circuit need protection?

I did say 'old zone 3' in first post. FCU would have to be in bathroom or i'd have to extend the flex on the towel rail.

Would a FCU with RCD satisfy the regs or does the whole circuit need protection?
Just look at the above link apache..

:)

ext - your help is invaluable.

I know RDC FCU's are available, would it be safer than jsut a standard FCU. I just want this safe. If it complies with regs then even better (other than the fact I'm not supposed to wire it)

ext - your help is invaluable. I know RDC FCU's are available, would it be safer than jsut a standard FCU. I just want this safe. If it complies with regs then even better (other than the fact I'm not supposed to wire it)
I have posted a link, but I see further replies are coming to this thread..

:D

would suggest you use 2.5 instead of 1.5 T&E as well, due to de-rating factors 1.5 is seldom capable of carring the 16a current the MCB could supply.

does sound a bit of a fudge tho. ; \

would suggest you use 2.5 instead of 1.5 T&E as well, due to de-rating factors 1.5 is seldom capable of carring the 16a current the MCB could supply.does sound a bit of a fudge tho. ; \
Ooops, yes I missed that:) quite correct steptoe..

That's because you are Special Ext.

Well - Until he comes back at least.

:^O

:D

Oh alright then, I even throw in a 5A Fuse.

:^O