Heating wired thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone would know where the other end of this cable would be (3 core t&e only 2 cores being used) for the heating thermostat, at my old boiler position disconnected as there’s no power at the thermostat end? I have a new combi boiler which was installed before I moved in and runs from a wireless thermostat. Just want to know I’m safe to remove the old one from the wall as it’s not needed now. Thanks

Attachments

• 5CA9EAB2-050C-45BF-9F79-C3F0F0577B37.jpeg
    5CA9EAB2-050C-45BF-9F79-C3F0F0577B37.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 4
Also can’t visibly see any disconnected cable around where my new boiler is. Maybe it’s been coming out from a hole in the wall right behind the boiler position?

I couldn’t tell you sorry, when we moved in a new one had been installed the previous year.

Now have this with wireless thermostat with no signs of old thermostat cable.

Attachments

• 0133A82F-DC12-4FF2-87B1-E2821AC5AE3F.jpeg
    0133A82F-DC12-4FF2-87B1-E2821AC5AE3F.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
Could the cable possibly be coming from here and not directly into the old boiler

Attachments

• 1F34379D-8BF3-41E6-9686-30FEF5F12093.jpeg
    1F34379D-8BF3-41E6-9686-30FEF5F12093.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
Just identified the cable from the above switch. Both cores in term block with earth still attached 👍🏻

It's really hard to say without being there/dismantling it/testing. I would have expected the three core to go to the boiler; live, switched live, and neutral, with a two core from the supply spur which could be either to the boiler or to the old thermostat, but that's just guessing. It really needs testing to determine it is isolated.

I tested the cable between the old thermostat and supply spur and identified that it’s the same cable. Would that 3core t&e be enough cores if I decided to fit a smart thermostat at some point in the future?

Would that not depend on the thermostat you intend to install? (Some need 2 wires, some 4, and no, you can NOT use the "earth" wire.)

Would that not depend on the thermostat you intend to install? (Some need 2 wires, some 4, and no, you can NOT use the "earth" wire.)
I’m not sure don’t know much about them. I’ll settle for the wireless one I have atm. Was wondering if the 3 core would be enough for it in the future if I wanted one. If some only need 2 then that’s good to know 👍🏻

Hi. In the airing cupboard (probably) there will be a control box where all the cables went to operate the old system which may or may not be redundant now. If the new boiler is combi the connections are in the new boiler.

Latest posts