Hedge trimmer cut through lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
The other day inadvertently cut through the cord on my electric hedge trimmer. There was a visible spark. It was on an RCD
Machine doubly insulated so no earth terminal.
Would have expected at least the MCB or plug fuse to have tripped as the cutter would have shorted the L&N but it did not, so cut end was alive.
So much for protective devices.
[Years ago a colleague of my wife was electrocuted when using an electric lawn mower not sure of the circumstances but the machine had stopped operating and she fiddled with it.
She had a heart problem so that contributed to her death. Part of the tragedy of it all was that she only just had it repaired]
Is it possible the connection between the L&N was not long enough to blow a fuse or trip the MCB. ?
Had I picked up the end and touched it would the RCD have tripped, (was approx 50M away from the RCD?)

possible the fault current wasnt enough to trip MCB / fuse. especially at 50m

RCD should still do its job if you did get a shock though and earth fault current was high enough

The two wires on the cut lead may have been cut one after the other and never shorted together. Whether the RCD would trip if you touched the lead depends on how well earthed you were . Wearing rubber boots maybe not. Bare feet most definitely yes.