hello all - yet another noob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well not really a noob to the Electrical game, as my username suggests, but certainly to this excellent forum, with loads of great stuff and obviously lots of hard work from the supporting team - well done all!

As an intro - I've sadly been out of it for quite a while, having started as an apprentice from 1974-79. Did my time with the Dept of the Environment (previously MPBW - Ministry of Public Blunders and Wonders and now their called English Heritage I think) in the good old Chatham Dockyard in Kent. In them days it was a four year apprenticeship (as an Electrical fitter), with C&G a & b, plus I stayed on for another year for the 235 (or 236 cant remember) "c" course. Didnt stay as a sparks for long unfortunately, as I could never make enough money at it. I always enjoyed it though, meeting different people everyday sometimes. So, I was taught the 14th edition, would you believe, but I stayed current at least as a booksmart sparky, up to and including the 16th, to supplement lots of private jobs up to a few years ago.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, I'm in IT now and have been for some years, but I long for a return into the fold and have recently purchased a copy of the 17th edition, plus a guide by Darrell Locke. I got out my old meters today, a BM6 Megger, LT5 EL tester, clamp ammeter, seaward rcd tester and various other multimeters, test leads etc. They all still work ok.

So, the question is folks - can one make a decent living at this game nowadays, or are we still the poorly paid but significantly more intelligent trade?

It may be a mid life crisis, (according to the wife) but I'll need to shed a few pounds (too long in an office job), train for and take the 2382-10 & 2391 etc.

I'm probably too old really, but I cant help it. I've probably been watching too much Life on Mars and now Ashes to Ashes. LOM was really my era. I'm also a born again biker (Triumph Tiger 885 FI - lovely).

Probably said too much as an intro already, but keep up the great work chaps!

Cheers

Pete

Wow Pete, What a thread.

Welcome to the Forum Mate, Glad to have you onboard.

Thanks for the kind comments too.

It has taken a long time to put together - amongst other things (to my wife's annoyance) but I have got there.

It is only through people like yourself that can make it a success - So thanks agin for registering and posting.

There is money to be made in domestic, but commercial and industrial is where the "Big" money is.

Regards,

Admin.

(Triumph Tiger 885 FI - lovely).

hey hey, nice to see a fellow fool on here, (bikes wise!),, i work a bit at bikes meself.

anyhoo, as to making a living, yes we are still well underpaid compared to most trades, but you can still make a living outta it, depends how much the bikes take.! lol

i remember the LT5, im pretty sure i might have one somewhere, but TBH, you just wouldnt be hassled with the 2wire anymore, even more so with the amount of RCBOs/RCDs in the 17th.

take care.

Albert.

Cheers Steptoe!

Yeh, we never grow up - bikes are in blood, once ridden, never forgotten.

On the tester front, I guess if I'm going to get back into this game, then I 'll have to get some decent gear eh ;)

a lot really depends on what sort of work you aim at doing TBH.

if you just want to stick with domestic/small commercial then you could get a decent meter for a couple or 3 hundred. but once you move onto 3phase and bigger installs then you need more functions(phase rotation, 1000v capability etc), plus of course usually a bit quicker to use if your doing a lot of testing.

personally i dont rate the all singing ones with all the PC download gubbins, need a secretary for all that stuff!! ha ha.

and dont be too put off by the 17th, most of it is just trying to catch up with the rest of the world and getting rid of our stupid system of overcomplicating things.

Ive put a pic of my latest project on the pix section if you want a look.!

Yeh, I've been cringing at some of the prices for the major ones. I'm not sure where to aim yet. I was taught industrial/commercial really, but I guess the easy route is via house bashing, at least to start with.

Seen your project - nice and rare - I remember that sound:D

I'll have to find some pics of mine, but its back on the road now, after a long winter home service break. Bloody shims - still it's cheaper than the dealer doing it...

I guess so, but probably difficult to get into with my missing years. I suppose I could try to offer to go along with someone as a mate or something to start with.

It seems that down my way (East Kent), there's a shortage of good Domestic sparks and the ones I know of are turning stuff away regularly. So I was sort of hoping to tap into some of that market...

Meanwhile, back to studying the big red book:(

Well ask the ones turning stuff away to give them your phone number innit,then u can do the same for them like ,ill scratch ur back u scratch mine scenario ,and hi B.A.S nice to meet ya :D

Rather than take the plunge...

You could gradually break back into it, part time - Evenining and weekends (good grief I sound like a BT option 2 package Lol).

Any Jobs that require notification can be done throur LABC office.

That way you get a feel of how you are going, whilst building up your repetation & client base etc.

And ask Mike says - have a chat with the sparks that are turning work away - to pass some your way.

Thats weird - must have been a simultaneous reply there between you and me Welshy - oh well, yes agreed, all good advice thanks:)

Gotto give up for the night - tomorrow

cheers