Hello - help needed please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierone

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

I'm new to the scene after 12 years away working in project mangement. I am a fully qualified electrician with old Quals (Elec cert - still valid Obvs, 16th ed, 2391, AM2 etc) and I'm looking to get back into my first love- being a spark.

I've set up a small Elec company and im trying to bootstrap the set up. The first thing I want to do is get my 18th edition and get back to qualified for the modern market.

Does my 2391 still stand do you know or do I need a refresher? 

I'm based in Bedford and what I'm hoping is that I can join a local approved company who can help me get up and running again in exchange for free work for a period of time until I have my updated Quals, van, test gear, niceic etc.

I can offer business mangement, marketing, commercial and project mangement skills if this is of interest.

Is there anyone on here who might be able to help please?

Thanks and best wishes

Rob

Welcome Rob, I think perhaps you’re underselling yourself. You clearly have the credentials to know the sparks world only lacking the most modern reg version as many still are. 

I’d say book yourself an 18th edition course and rejoin the game. Your 2391 will still stand as will your existing test gear. The fundamentals haven’t changed massively in installation, Zs figures have been revised, sure they’re widely available on t’internet. 

Oh and thanks for the in-depth intro, it helps us too understand you. 👍

I was going to say the same  as Sharpie ....forget working for free for someone else ,  ( doubt if that would work anyway ,   other than subbing on a self employed basis. )   just start up on your own account ,  forget that ,  and you can still work to the 17th at the moment I believe ,  I wouldn't worry too much about that ....you're a qualified sparks ....we just have these hurdles to vault every couple of years  from the deskbound brigade  

As an old Phart I don't understand the phrase  " Bootstrap the set up "   to be honest .   

There are a load of posts on here covering starting up a small business ,    I can offer some advice if you want  but I get the feeling you know  what you're doing .

Do you have any  contacts from your project management time ?    Contacts  & knowing the  people who may need your services   are very important ,   I always regretted  NOT following up on a couple of them  20 odd years ago  that I think would have worked well for all concerned  ...c'est la vie  .

You don’t remember early Compac computers then. They used to start with “running bootstrap”.

To haul yourself up by the bootstrap is to get you up on your feet and running.

Last edited by a moderator: