Hello - Just Joined

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

After many years of being a diligent DIYer (sorry) I have recently started along the path to gaining some credible qualifications.

Have already completed a Foundation D I course and gained (EAL VRQ L2) from Builder Training Centre.

Have C & G 2382 next week and am planning some jobs to get Self-Cert Scheme approved (I know, I know).

Once the 2382 is done, I'm planning to go on to 2391 and from there.......we'll see.........

Loving the learning and very happy that I found this forum - clearly many knowledgeable members and many years of experience.

looking forward to contributing also as my knowledge grows.

Cheers,

Ian.

nothing wrong with DIYers,

knowing the limit is the issue,

same with short course people,

Im not allowed to say 5week f'in wonders anymore,.! ;)

welcome anyhows. :)

bring some beer did you?

we likes beer here,

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry, Steptoe - the wife's got me off the beer at the moment. Mind you, should only be until the weekend - when I shall bring some along.

I would certainly not put myself in the professional electrician category - although I know some 'short course' people do. There is, indeed, a gulf between someone accredited for domestic installation only and a apprenticeship and time-served electrician; I'm very clear on that.

It's funny, but I have, on other forums, seen D.I. blokes trying to rigorously defend their position as full-blown electricians. Pointless if you ask me. Like you say with DIYers - it's all about knowing your limits. If you trained purely as a Domestic Installer, put all of your efforts into being as good at that as you absolutely can be - don't waste your efforts trying to elevate your status. If you do a good (and, more importantly, safe) job on every install and get satisfaction from what you do then commit to that.

I think that some people taking a fast track route certainly give these schemes a bad name. There was one bloke on a course that I attended who I would not trust with my Christmas lights!!! Don't know if he passed it, but it certainly made me think. Among many absurd questions that he asked, at one point, he asked, "how can I make sure I don't get electrocuted when working on circuits?" As the rest of the group looked on incredulously he was told, clearly, "TURN IT OFF AND MAKE SURE IT'S SAFELY ISOLATED", to which he responded, "but, what if I am not allowed to turn it off?"

This exchange went on for another 10 minutes or so until I asked him, "So, if you were a plumber, and someone asked you to change their boiler without shutting off the gas and water, what would you say to them?". He responded, "I would tell them it has to be turned off!". I simply responded, "now you're getting it!". But I don't think he did!!!

We can only hope that he will remove himself from the gene-pool before he hurts someone!!!

Anyway, looking forward to participating in - and learning from this forum. Already subscribed to the 3 Word Story thread - and I'm loving that (although, not learning much from it!!)

Cheers,

Ian.

Sorry, Steptoe - the wife's got me off the beer at the moment. Mind you, should only be until the weekend - when I shall bring some along.
Steptoe will like you already. :)

There was one bloke on a course that I attended who I would not trust with my Christmas lights!!! Don't know if he passed it, but it certainly made me think. Among many absurd questions that he asked, at one point, he asked, "how can I make sure I don't get electrocuted when working on circuits?" As the rest of the group looked on incredulously he was told, clearly, "TURN IT OFF AND MAKE SURE IT'S SAFELY ISOLATED", to which he responded, "but, what if I am not allowed to turn it off?" This exchange went on for another 10 minutes or so until I asked him, "So, if you were a plumber, and someone asked you to change their boiler without shutting off the gas and water, what would you say to them?". He responded, "I would tell them it has to be turned off!". I simply responded, "now you're getting it!". But I don't think he did!!!
Mad world isn't it?! :(

Anyway, looking forward to participating in - and learning from this forum. Already subscribed to the 3 Word Story thread - and I'm loving that (although, not learning much from it!!)Cheers,

Ian.
And we look forward to that too. Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you on-board. :)

Welcome to the forum, you sound very level headed which will help you in the future. It is always safer to ask than to blunder through like some of the guys you have met already on your course.

Out of interest who did you train with Ian?
I did the first couple of courses with Builder Training Centre, Croydon. The 2382 is going to be with Eversafe; a provider more local to me.

The BTC was good and the tutor was a good bloke (with some amusing anecdotes from his days on the tools). Unfortunately, it's just a bit of a trot from home.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:17 ----------

Welcome to the forum, you sound very level headed which will help you in the future. It is always safer to ask than to blunder through like some of the guys you have met already on your course.
Cheers Manator.

Latest posts