hello,

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andson

Reaction score
hello, im new to the electricians world, after 19 years i was made redundant from my last job as a mechanical engineer, and when trying to get back into work, i notice employers require electrical knowledge, i therefore have booked my self on to intensive course, which should hopefully lead me into getting some electrical qualifications. i am doing 17th edition, pat testing and 2391. any advice would be gratefully accepted in trying to be succesfull in my examinations.

cheers.

Hi andson welcome m8 , there's a link on this forum to a 17th edition test site ,its good too , as for the rest keep reading and pick the brains of these fine fellows on this site , well i say fine lol :ptheyre all helpfull and knowledgable so use em .good luck with the tests

all the best

Mike

Agree with "mike the bike" here - would just add one thing r.e. 2391. Study, revise, practice, ask questions, study, revise some more. It`s not the easiest course around.

Oh, yes, while I`m here - Welcome. Hakuna matata

yes i know i have had heard some real horror stories about 2391,

i take it you have to pay for this test site? when should i start revising, my exam is not for another 3 1/2 weeks, as i have only just started the course?

cheers andy...

yes i know i have had heard some real horror stories about 2391,i take it you have to pay for this test site?

yes m8 its 20 quid but well worth it

when should i start revising

well now would be a good start

, my exam is not for another 3 1/2 weeks, as i have only just started the course?

cheers andy...
its never too early to revise / learn

a stitch in time saves nine and all that shite

The 2391 is a testing and inspection qualification and the people who struggle with it are people with little or no experience. My personal opinion is that you should not be allowed to take this until you have held the 236 part 1& 2 for at least 5 years. I remember when I took it how many in the class never really understood testing and disconnection times etc. My lecture made a good point "I am not here to teach you to test and inspect you should already know that, I am here to get you through the exam ".

It has puzzled me how can any one inspect other peoples work when they have no experience, how do you know what is good or bad practice. testing comes with experience I think.

This is my opinion only

Cheggers.

Good point. I agree entirely. When I was newly qualified (Gawd I sound old!) I could not have carried out T+I as I do now. I strongly believe that a level of experience is necessary.

p.s. on my 2391, 6 other members of the class came in the evenin` I did my practical; to stand around, ask questions and make notes. To be fair, they asked if they could, and it doesn`t bother me - just like being in mr. Bloggs` house!!!

When I did mine we had two lectures and I fell out with one of them, I told him he was wrong about short circuit fault and earth fault he said they were the same thing. I said yes on pme the valve would be the same but not on tt, he started going on about this and that you do this then that, I said you are talking in riddles,he tried to lose me in tecnical stuff,then I asked him had he ever been out of college and carried out a pir. no was his reply, after that we didn't speak muchto each other. It annoyed me that he was teaching this stuff and he never had a clue what it was like in real life, and i was paying for it

The 2391 is a testing and inspection qualification and the people who struggle with it are people with little or no experience. My personal opinion is that you should not be allowed to take this until you have held the 236 part 1& 2 for at least 5 years. I remember when I took it how many in the class never really understood testing and disconnection times etc. My lecture made a good point "I am not here to teach you to test and inspect you should already know that, I am here to get you through the exam ".It has puzzled me how can any one inspect other peoples work when they have no experience, how do you know what is good or bad practice. testing comes with experience I think.

This is my opinion only
DISAGREE,

I have never had a 236, or any part of it

When I did mine we had two lectures and I fell out with one of them, I told him he was wrong about short circuit fault and earth fault he said they were the same thing. I said yes on pme the valve would be the same but not on tt, he started going on about this and that you do this then that, I said you are talking in riddles,he tried to lose me in tecnical stuff,then I asked him had he ever been out of college and carried out a pir. no was his reply, after that we didn't speak muchto each other. It annoyed me that he was teaching this stuff and he never had a clue what it was like in real life, and i was paying for it
AGREE,

with your lecturer,

he probably didnt understand why, but your PFC/PSCC is, IS, the same as your earth fault current.

it is the same cable!

try and understand the star principle of the transformer your supply comes from!

may not take the same route to get there but its the same point of supply.

and, the PFC/PSCC reading is always taken as the highest reading, thus on a TT system it will inherently be biased towards the earth fault current!!!

BUT.......

I do agree with you on the point of all these so called lecturers taking shite about stuff they have absolutely no practical experience of!!!

The 2391 is a testing and inspection qualification and the people who struggle with it are people with little or no experience. My personal opinion is that you should not be allowed to take this until you have held the 236 part 1& 2 for at least 5 years. I remember when I took it how many in the class never really understood testing and disconnection times etc. My lecture made a good point "I am not here to teach you to test and inspect you should already know that, I am here to get you through the exam ".It has puzzled me how can any one inspect other peoples work when they have no experience, how do you know what is good or bad practice. testing comes with experience I think.

This is my opinion only
I'm an electrical engineer - and after redundancy and a brief career as a Science teacher I came into sparkying. I had problems getting a job as I was perceived as over qualified (ONC HNC Degree etc) with no relevent experience. Getting the 2391 helped to break that barrier and get me out of the catch 22 I was in. If someone insisted on 5 years experience before I could even take the exam I would have been living in Effluent Street!

Different people find different things difficult. Personally I found 2391 very straightforward and passed it before doing any spark work ('cos no-one would have me!). Rightly or wrongly it is an academic exam, and if you put the work in and have a good exam technique you will pass - particularly if you have an engineering background and a logical mind for diagnostics.

Once getting the job I found estimating and acclimatising my baby soft hands to real work to be the real challenge!

For what it's worth this is the best job I've ever had (though not the best paid!) and I look forward to every working day.

Afternoon Dave.

So you're officially an "Electrician" now, are you?

Are you a sole trader? (If you don't mind me asking).

Best Wishes,

Admin.