Hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie3910

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Stephanie, I am currently renovating an American school bus, and would like some advice on the auto electrics.

I have had to move and change the lights to comply with UK regulations.

I have fitted 8 burger lights at the rear of the bus, to make sure people can see me. These are LED lights. 
I have taken the original wiring apart and linked up one on each side just to get them working , which appears to be working fine

can I link them up together. I have 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top of the bus, at the rear on each side. 

thanks for you time 🙂

Vehicle electrics, let alone American PSVs are well outside the usual scope of knowledge of the forum. If you know the applicable regulations you are a step ahead of us to start with.

I can offer you some educated guesswork, but please understand that's just what it is.

I think you will have five circuits, comprising left and right driving lamps, left and right indicators and brake lights which are probably connected together. So, for each circuit:

In my opinion, if you've got one led lamp unit working, connecting more should not be a problem. Presumably each circuit previously used one or more filament lamps, and led units will take less current.

If it was a UK vehicle the two sides driving lamps would be wired separately, with separate fuses and wires. This is done so that a single fault doesn't take out the lights on both sides. So, keep the sides separate; do not interconnect.  The indicators may be load sensitive and flash at a different speed.  Your vehicle may or may not have a lamp failure warning system, which may or may not work with the new lamps.

I hope that some of that may be helpful.