Help changing light switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivavilla

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this and I'm sure it's very very simple so please excuse my ignorance! :(

I'm in the process of changing a light switch. It's a dimmer with two switches. I'm just a little stuck trying to work out where the wires go; in the old switch there were 3 holes on either fitting labelled "1", "2", and "3". Red wires went into "1" and "3", and the green/yellow wire went into a completely separate fitting underneath which wasn't labelled.

The new fitting however is much more modern, and has holes labelled "1", "2" and "C". It does not have the separate fitting underneath where the green/yellow wire was previously located.

Does this make sense to anyone? I can provide photographs it will help at all.

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this and I'm sure it's very very simple so please excuse my ignorance! :( I'm in the process of changing a light switch. It's a dimmer with two switches. I'm just a little stuck trying to work out where the wires go; in the old switch there were 3 holes on either fitting labelled "1", "2", and "3". Red wires went into "1" and "3", and the green/yellow wire went into a completely separate fitting underneath which wasn't labelled.

The new fitting however is much more modern, and has holes labelled "1", "2" and "C". It does not have the separate fitting underneath where the green/yellow wire was previously located.

Does this make sense to anyone? I can provide photographs it will help at all.

The 'C' is the 'Common', this is where your live (red or brown wire) goes into, the '1' and '2' are where the switch live comes out into the light fitting. Note that the switch live uses the neutral colour (black or blue). Generally wiring into '1' turns the light on when the switch is clicked 'down' but if the switch turns on the 'other way round' just swap the wire from '1' to '2'.

If the switch is completely plastic you don't need a earth to it. Just terminate the exsisting earth in a little 'choc-bloc'.

Here's the old switch...

dsc085251hc0.jpg

dsc085261kv0.jpg

New switch...

dsc085271do0.jpg

dsc085281uq4.jpg

And the mess I'm working with...

dsc085321ii9.jpg

Sorry about the quality!

Sorry, Mr Sworld was in the process of posting before I saw your post.

Yes the new switch is completely plastic whereas the old one wasn't. Does that explain why there is no equivalent position for the earth wire?

Sorry, Mr Sworld was in the process of posting before I saw your post.Yes the new switch is completely plastic whereas the old one wasn't. Does that explain why there is no equivalent position for the earth wire?
I have seen many Plastic switch plates that contain an earth terminal. If there isn't a earth terminal on there, just terminate it into your Galv back box.

And Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, Mr Sworld was in the process of posting before I saw your post.Yes the new switch is completely plastic whereas the old one wasn't. Does that explain why there is no equivalent position for the earth wire?
It is. The new switch is insulated so just leave the earth attached to the metal backbox.

It looks from the photo that you have a double red twin and earth cable and a double insulated single?

It is. The new switch is insulated so just leave the earth attached to the metal backbox.It looks from the photo that you have a double red twin and earth cable and a double insulated single?
Yes I think this is correct.

The wire that has the extra one twisted onto it is your common for both dimmers switches and the spare red from the T&E and the double insulated one are the switch lives for the two lights.

But you knew that didn't you! ;)

Success! Wired as you guided above and it works perfectly. Thanks very much to all who responded for your help, I'll definitely use this forum again :)

Success! Wired as you guided above and it works perfectly. Thanks very much to all who responded for your help, I'll definitely use this forum again :)
Thats what i like to hear.

AD2

:x