Help for making a decision about former employer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_uktv

Reaction score
Hi there guys :)

I wonder if anyone can cast their eye over my post and help me come to a decision over what i should do?

I have been working for a local company for the past 12 mths , on a part time basis doing primarily the job of portable appliance testing.

I have my 2377 nvq (payed by the company) and was happy poddering along doing this to keep my head above water.

About 3 months ago a request came in for us to pat test a childrens home local to us .

This i did and got on very well with the staff.

Upon my inspection of the appliances various faults were found like broken socket faces, fuse board labelling missing, cables left behind from previous installations , lack of bonding to various services etc.

I called the office to ask if we could carry out a p.i.r and quote for any works needed to correct matters because i wasnt qualified to do such a task.

I was told by my employer that it would be fine and that he would carry out the work with my help and he would be the QS .

I agreed and subsequently booked the inspection in.

A week later we both arrived and started to carry out the inspection and rectify works as we went along if at all possible.

It became quite apparent to me that whilst doing this inspection my employer was not working to a standard that i agreed with.

I am not qualified but am fully aware of the methods of taking r1,r2 readings etc and quite knowledgable about the standards required for 17th edition installations and procedures.

After the p.i.r ws complete my employer quoted for the correctional work needed and it was agreed that the work was to be done.

Among these to my knowledge was

to label the consumer unit

bonding in bathroom

bonding to water supply on detached outside office

investigation of adequate cable size to feed 1363 sockets (appeared to be 1mm t/e)

adequate clipping of 10mm earth to kitchen area (loosely attached to wall )

correct investigation and termination of un-used cables .

Blanks fitting to fuseboard to prevent direct contact.

and much more.

I wasnt happy wit the work that was carried out and voiced my opinion.

I was told that since he was signing the report that it was irrelevant and he was responsible for over seeing that it met required standards.

I replied that because i had taken active work in the project i should also have to sign the certificate.

2 WEEKS LATER i was dismissed by my employer for a major disagreement and i left been owed quite alot of money that he deducted from my wages for various costs he made up.

I have recently contacted the customer of the pir and been told that the certificates have been submitted to him and that indeed MY SIGNATURE is on them.

I DID NOT SIGN ANYTHING!

also various works have not been completed ie:no blanks fitted!!

What should i do? he is registered to the nineic and supposed to be an approved contractor, surely it is illegalfor him to either forge my signature or sign on my behalf ?

as far as i am concerned the work is not completed and i seriously question his competence.

This is sad to say i am the unqualified one!

advice please guys

Well if it was me I'd be having some words with him and then be introducing him to my friend pain. However I recommend you talk to a solicitor, most will give you a half hour to an hour of free advice.

got to admit i am very angry!! its not even he money its the cheek of my signature on the form ...X( X(

To me it sounds like you have a couple of grieveness , the wage deductions , the falsification of signature. These need to be handled seperately IMHO.

For the wage deductions I would be speaking to CAB or possibly a solicitor if you have one, are these deductions for your training ? if so was this agreed with you in the form of a written contract signed by both parties ?

As for the PIR cert I would first contact NICEIC without giving any details for their views , of course if it can be proved he falsafied your signature this could also become a police matter.

My own views and opinions.

yehh the money is not a problem for me ...of course i could use it but it prob was written into the contract somewhere so i aint fussed about that...its simply the case of bad workmanship that my falseified signature is applied to ...makes me so angry that someone like me who is not qualified works to a standard and yet he doesnt!

aint qualified but am not an idiot...i have been in the electrical trade for many years and know a bad job when i see one.

It never hurts to ask for advice even at my age (44) .

All i can say is when i asked him how he took ze,zs and resistance of conductor readings he avoided it like the plague and i even had to show him how to use is tester!!

But believe me he is registered with the niceic and approved ....omg!!

Steve i am 40 and I am at college ! ! ! and im not the oldest either mate, have a read through your contract to check on wages also to check on notice period standard is 4 weeks ! !

I would contact NICEIC be cautious at first , I dont know 100% how it works but i do remember people saying about company or indiviual registration. Either way it is not right for your signature to appear on document that you did not sign. Also if he has billed for works not carried out then he is also defrauding the childs home.

But believe me he is registered with the niceic and approved ....omg!!
That doesn't surprise me in the least, they're usually the worst because they think they're Teflon coated. Obviously I'm not saying all are like that, but the worse ones I've seen have been approved NICEIC contractors.

I am sure I say for alot of the guys here , he needs to put hung out to dry by what ever means possible its trades men ( I use the term loosely) like him we do not need ! !

Contacting Watchdog or a similar consumer programme might be interesting.

believe me if i could cut his b*****ks off i would !!

I think i may take this to the CAB but i am pretty sure that my contract will be strongly biased in his favour (because he is like that)

He is a one-man band and his wife is his secretary...

They will say that i was dismissed through gross misconduct...simply whenever i conveyed work to his "secretary " she would not pass the work on and i subsequently went out and did the pat testing myself .

Passing paperwork onto my boss once a week .

I was instructed to do this by my boss himself!

This was not a problem and went on for a few weeks until....

Upon arriving at a job my former boss was waiting and (along with 3 other men) said that i was trying to work by myself !

I must stress i was wearing the company uniform and had paperwork already prepared to submit to the company and was using company tools ,ie: pat tester etc... he had none of it and it became apparent to me that it was setup to dismiss me ...hey presto 2 days later his nephew is in my job.

Out of my wages he took costs for tools that i never had, protective clothing that i never had, and did not reinburse any fuel costs .

My wages amounted to

I would start at solicitor as he/she will also be able to advise best course of action wrt the forging of your signature.

If it was me, I would avoid the direct application of pain as thats over too quickly and go for the long pain like inablilty to work as a sparks. I would also probably contact the police and claim that you know that my signature had been forged on official documents and who was involved possibly with the view to comit some kind of identity theft.

RCD's: Because there is no point living if you can't feel alive with 150mA for 40mS

lmao mate

Im not so sure the Police would be interested as its most probably a civil case not criminal. I would defo go see a solicitor and think you would have a case for unfair/constructive dismissal. He will lie probably all the way through but if you be honest and fight it to the end justice should be served. If its not ... weigh him him with some armoured round the head. (bit of 10mm should do the trick lol)

Cheers

Latest posts