Help me choose a Variable Speed Drive

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Short version:

Need a single phase 230V in, 3 phase out variable speed drive for a wood turning lathe.

It's very old and all I can get from the motor rating plate is A 1/2,   HP 2/4

I assume that depends if it's star or delta wired (I don't know which yet but assume it could be changed)

What he has at the moment is an Omron 3G3EV that worked for about half an hour and then went bang.

I didn't get the full part number form the Omron unit he has but looking at the manual here https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/3g3ev_users_manual_en.pdf

That suggests the largest in that range is 1.5kW which I would say is a bit borderline?

So what does the forum recommend for say a 2kW or higher single phase in 3 phase out VSD?

same place i use.  i use the schneider altivar 12 for smaller motors. sometimes parker or siemens for others

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like the Invertek units.

My first choice would be Bosch Rexroth, though I don’t mind Siemens or Schneider.

It depends on the application and budget really.

The application is an old wood turning lathe.

I was going to load some pictures but WTGrape that option has gone and I can't be bothered signing up with an image host right now, so you will have to do with just words.

It's a 3 phase "hoover" motor, no not one taken from a hoover but a proper machine motor made by Hoover.  I was going to post a picture of the motor rating plate but can't do that now.  It's Voltage 220/240 380/440   AMPS  0.8/1.2    HP 3/4   RPM 1425

I assume the two ratings are star or delta, and it's presently running on 230V so I assume but have not checked it's wired for delta.

It came with an inverter in a control box, and Omron 3G3EV sysdrive.  On the front of the drive it says "230V CLASS 1ph0.7Kw which initially made me think it was woefully under sized, but the rating plate on the inverter gives the full model number as 3G3EV-AB007-E  and the output rating as 0=230V 3 phase 1.9KVA 5A

Looking at the manual for this drive here https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/3g3ev_users_manual_en.pdf

Looking at the bottom of page 3-4 does indeed suggest it is only 0.7KVA  which surely is too small for this motor.

The control set up is there is a start / stop relay in the machine and a simple open close contact from that instructs the drive to start.  Speed is via a pot with 0-10V input to the drive.

This drive came with the machine (bought second hand) and it worked for about half an hour before just stopping.  The RUN light comes on when you start the machine but no output and no error in the display.

I haven't ruled out trying to fix the drive but given it is probably under size a replacement looks better.

I want the replacement drive to fit in the existing box so absolute maximum 190mm wide, 300mm high and 120mm deep.

He wants new that will work and carry on working, not cheap ebay tat.  But I want to be sure whatever I choose will be right for the job and will last.

I sent the motor spec and what I wanted to achieve to Invertek and they told me what too buy.