Help on interpretation of the 17th edition.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.ses

Reaction score
The company I work for makes commercial catering equipment and we sometimes make counters incorporating sockets we normally leave the RCDs to the site electricians but we protect the various items on the counter via MCBs. In view of the 17th edition it would appear that discrimination needs to be applied and RCBOs used. Should we now make extensive use of RCBOs or should the site electricians provide the RCBOs at the distribution board incorporating all the various pieces of equipment on these counters. ?:|

There's no definitive answer here, but i think that you should not fit them. Depending on the wiring Rcd protection may be needed at the supply end. As long as your company states the 17th Edition when supplying the goods, your covered.

You supply a fixed item. You cannot define a generic discrimination, as all installations will differ. I would agree with SlipSlap here. You, as a company, have no obligation to comply with wiring regs, UNLESS you are also in the business of connecting the units to the buyers supply??

The company I work for makes commercial catering equipment and we sometimes make counters incorporating sockets we normally leave the RCDs to the site electricians but we protect the various items on the counter via MCBs. In view of the 17th edition it would appear that discrimination needs to be applied and RCBOs used. Should we now make extensive use of RCBOs or should the site electricians provide the RCBOs at the distribution board incorporating all the various pieces of equipment on these counters. ?:|
I see no reason for you to worry about the supply of fixed units? It is for the site sparks to comply?

Obviously if you were to install an RCD spur or something for connection you job would be more than done?

In the end, when a spark buys sockets there is nothing stating it requires RCD protection etc.. He knows he has to comply with the regs and installs accordingly :) IMO

No. Don't worry about it.

When the items are bought and connected up by the client it will be up to them to rcd / not rcd the supply for it. If you add rcd/rcbo's to the items you will get into issues of discrimination between the in-house supply rcd's and the counter rcd.