Help Required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael1983l

Reaction score
Hi I a an Electronics Engineer with 7 years experience, I am currently undergoing some training qualifications to hopefully move into the domestic electrician field and possibly go self employed eventually. It is however very confusing to find out what is reuired to be a domestic electrician legally so if you would be kind enough, I will list my qualifications and could you tell me if I already will have whats required or if not what else I need to do. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks for any help.

Qualifications

17th Edition Wiring Regs C&G 2381

Domestic Electrical Installation VRQ Level 2 DEI incorpirating part P

Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations C&G 2391

Engineering advanced Modern Apprenticship

BTEC NC Engineering (Electronics)

NVQ Level 3 Engineering Maintainance (Communication Electronics)

cheers.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

I know the 17th edition is the 2382.

2382-10 (complete course)

2382-20 (update course for those who have held the 2381 for certain amount of time).

2391 is now split into two.

It now becomes the 2392.

One is for Domestics and the other is for commercial/industrial.

Also see this thread Here, Michael - It should help you.

Feel free to ask all the questions you like. :)

Regards,

Welshy.

Welcome Michael83.

I too am an ex-electronics design engineer (for some 30 odd years). In terms of being "legal" you are already there and have accomplished what it takes and are able to apply any of the registries (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA etc). You also clearly have the brains to do the job safely and well I strongly suspect.

Best of luck, I wish you well - and I think you are making a mistake! You are FAR too young and would make more money at electronics an related subjects. Are you knowledgeable about HDL (say VHDL), synthesis etc? If so go down that road it is FAR more rewarding.

Hi Michael,Welcome to the forum.

I know the 17th edition is the 2382.

2382-10 (complete course)

2382-20 (update course for those who have held the 2381 for certain amount of time).

2391 is now split into two.

It now becomes the 2392.

One is for Domestics and the other is for commercial/industrial.

Also see this thread Here, Michael - It should help you.

Feel free to ask all the questions you like. :)

Regards,

Welshy.
i just read that thread, i am cofused by the initial course which is part time over a year, I have a 2 year full time BTEC in a similar field with added experience to boot. It's obviously an electrical principle so would this BTEC cover me in that respect. Also the courses you have split are the ones i am due to do, its just the papers i have for it are the old ones but everything im doing is the new current regulations. Would I get myself onto one of the electrical bodies with what I will have is the million dollar question I suppose.

Welcome Michael83.I too am an ex-electronics design engineer (for some 30 odd years). In terms of being "legal" you are already there and have accomplished what it takes and are able to apply any of the registries (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA etc). You also clearly have the brains to do the job safely and well I strongly suspect.

Best of luck, I wish you well - and I think you are making a mistake! You are FAR too young and would make more money at electronics an related subjects. Are you knowledgeable about HDL (say VHDL), synthesis etc? If so go down that road it is FAR more rewarding.
hi thanks for the confidence, unfortunatly I have spent my time in the RAF as a communication electronics engineer, this has mainly covered stuff like Satellite coms and heavy radars so my design and comercial knowledge is questionable. I have had job offers in the region of 32k a year however I believe I have the right qualities to earn more as a self employed electrician. I could be being naieve in that respect so if I am please don't be shy and spit it out ; \

You would most certainly get onto one of the registries, maybe with some provisos.

Before applying do SOME house bashing work, even if it is something that does not need registering with LABC. It does not have to be that significant. I would apply to NAPIT they are by FAR the best outfit to join as the assessors are all sparks (not salesmen who think they know it all and drive around in company BMW's - at your expense) :)

You would most certainly get onto one of the registries, maybe with some provisos.Before applying do SOME house bashing work, even if it is something that does not need registering with LABC. It does not have to be that significant. I would apply to NAPIT they are by FAR the best outfit to join as the assessors are all sparks (not salesmen who think they know it all and drive around in company BMW's - at your expense) :)
I have a little advantage that I havn't said, Im going to be going into a partnership with a fully qualified plasterer time served, so the house bashing bit should be slightly easier for me as I will have him to help me out in that respect. We're doing it as a combined plastering and Domestic Electrician buisness so that whenever we are in either field one of us is the tradesman and one the labourer so to speak, so we're hoping to keep our working opportunities maximised.

Thanks for all the great responses by the way you have really helped.

Well I am in two minds (for historical reasons).

1. The housing market is gong down hill as we speak.

2. I firmly believe that the UK has not seen nothing yet when it comes to the housing market. I recall only too well the last time (1990 and John Majors era).

I was living in the USA back in the 80's when life was great. Then when I visited the place (California) all Hell had let loose over there and about 2 years later it hit us here BIG time.

I sadly think that the same is going to happen now. As in - all the news about the housing problems in the USA has not really hit us yet but it will. As in "you aint seen nuffin yet"

3. On the other hand - the best time to start up your own business is during a recession (which is what we entering right now). And so there is a conflict if you like.

And the reason it is a good time is because companies (as in more than a one man ban) are highly 'geared' (have high costs) which they are unable to do much about so you can compete very well during this period - PROVIDED you and your family are able to ride the rough times, if you can then there really is a pot of gold at the end of the road and you CAN win, I promise you can. :D

My opinion, for what it is worth, is NOT to align with anyone else.

It is FAR better to have contacts. Over the years I have been a sparky I have met all sorts of trades people - good and bad and I keep in touch with the good. I help them and they help me and it works (plumbers, spreads, chippies, brickies the lot).

My opinion, for what it is worth, is NOT to align with anyone else.It is FAR better to have contacts. Over the years I have been a sparky I have met all sorts of trades people - good and bad and I keep in touch with the good. I help them and they help me and it works (plumbers, spreads, chippies, brickies the lot).
I appreciate what your saying and fully agree, however in this case my oppo is my cousin. He's struggling for work at the moment because of the influx in eastern european plasterers that are offering great rates. I have promised to teach him the sparky bit and he is going to teach me how to plaster, I am ultimatly in control of the buisness though and we're like brothers anyway so im prepared to take the risks of going into a partnership with him. He also is the best plasterer I have ever seen his jobs are immaculate.

Well that is another thing altogether BUT PLEASE watch the costs on both sides and only buy when you can afford.

I have come across are too many family splits over family working together (and family that were much closer the the one you are talking about). When relational links break it is very, very hard going for all concerned.

Just wondering if anybody that is self employed could give me a ball park figure of what liability and proffesional indemnity insurance is going to set me back if i go ahead with my plan ? thanks.

So tell me again, how many years experience do you have as a domestic spark?

And you say you're going to teach him sparking.

You may not be daft but you ain't clever.

No disrespect Goldenboy but did OP say he was going to train someone? I may have missed a point but ... I got the impression he was thinking of starting up on his own with a pal/relative who is a spread, as in complimentary services.