Help with circuit breaker please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickamup

Reaction score
In my flat i have a Legrand B40A TSB-140 230/400V 6000 circuit breaker.

one of the switches marked 'sockets' keeps tripping out.

I've removed everything that is on that circuit as far as i can see - everything is unplugged, except a ceiling light, but that is switched off.

It started tripping out yesterday, but stayed on for about 10 hours, then went off again this morning, and again in the afternoon. By this evening it got down to about 20 minute intervals before tripping out.

So i started unplugging things from the circuit to see if it was one of the applicances causing it.

Now everything - including my boiler - is unplugged yet it immediately trips out when turned on.

It even trips out when i turn off the main switch first.

Is there a quick fix? Can anybody help?

By 'Main Switch', do you mean the big switch on your fuseboard that switches the entire flat off when all the other circuit breakers are on?

By 'Main Switch', do you mean the big switch on your fuseboard that switches the entire flat off when all the other circuit breakers are on?
yes. I noticed that the switch wouldn't trip out so quick if i turned the big one off first then, then the affected switch, then the main one back on again.

But even now the small switch trips out within seconds

In my flat i have a Legrand B40A TSB-140 230/400V 6000 circuit breaker.one of the switches marked 'sockets' keeps tripping out.

I've removed everything that is on that circuit as far as i can see - everything is unplugged, except a ceiling light, but that is switched off.

It started tripping out yesterday, but stayed on for about 10 hours, then went off again this morning, and again in the afternoon. By this evening it got down to about 20 minute intervals before tripping out.

So i started unplugging things from the circuit to see if it was one of the applicances causing it.

Now everything - including my boiler - is unplugged yet it immediately trips out when turned on.

Is there a quick fix? Can anybody help?
Something sounds a bit wrong here in your description M8.

The B40A sounds like a fuse for a shower not sockets or lights??

can you take a picture of it and stick it on photobucket or similar with a link we can have a look at???

SL

difficult to fault find from a descriptive but.....

1.... Is there ANYTHING else which could be connected? (outside shed, outside light, etc?)

2.... Agree with Specloc here - 40A shouldn`t be on sockets. Is there an RCD (like main switch, but with small button marked `test`)?

3..... Don`t try and switch it back on anymore. Apart from anything else, the rated lifespan of ANY mcb is 3 overload trips. If your 40A is actually overloading; chances are there is a VERY damaged and dangerous condition somewhere.

4..... Everything plugged in, under normal conditions, is protected by a 1362 fuse - max 13A. It`s not going to be anything on a plug and socket causing this problem.

More info required. Johnny 5 need INPUT.............

Here are a few pictures.

hope they help

SNV34023.jpg

SNV34024.jpg

also there is an outside light connected to that circuit but it was switched off the whole time.

We also have electricity in the garage but that is working and has it's own circuit box.

First thing. Are you renting this flat? If so ring the landlord/agency and tell them about it. It's their responsibilty.

If you own it then do the following:

Ok, first thing you need to do is work out what sockets are fed from this breaker. Get a something portable (i.e. a small table light) and test all your 13 amp sockets, list which ones don't work. If it includes the kitchen make sure you check all the socket that supply the appliances.

Then take the sockets off the wall and check that all the wires are in the terminals and tighten the terminals up with a screwdriver. You may have a loose wire behind them that is causing the circuit to trip. Replace each socket as you check them.

Go back to the fuseboard and try the trip again. If it's still tripping then you have a wiring fault elsewhere or a problem in the fuseboard. Please call a electrician to solve this as they will have the proper test gear to track down the fault.

Hope this helps. :)

have u done any diy or had work done recently ?????? had a case a few weeks ago where an old gent hat put a pic up on the wall and nailed thru the cable it had nicked the phase insulation and after a while it started tripping the rcd he reset it and the time between tripping got shorter then was a dead short ??? strange but true

:)

Original posted quoted the legrand B40 as the problem - it appears that its actually the 32A - or is that just a spare??????

I see 4 no. 32A socket MCBs ??????

I also think I see a gap to the left of the 40A breaker - no blank!!!

Would like to see photo with C.U. cover removed; but I still believe everything I posted last night to be correct.

You sure that the circuit marked sockets actually does sockets as u dont say nothing stopped working and u just carried on unplugging to see if it would rectify problem.

Has it been altered and the socket sticker has just been left on as u have a socket and upstairs socket.

Maybe a bit more info needed.

I also think I see a gap to the left of the 40A breaker - no blank!!!

Would like to see photo with C.U. cover removed; but I still believe everything I posted last night to be correct.
Big gulp! :eek: :O

Indeed the missing blank.. the whole cover dont seem to fit to good!

If someone has left the installation with a cover in this condition,

I would also have doubts about if correct cables sizes have been used?

As this is a 32A MCB poping Not an RCD.. serious alarm bells should be ringing!

Tred cautiously..

Are any exposed conductors or lose connections providing a short circuit path somewhere?

Any overheated connections in the back of a socket where insulation has started melting...

e.g.

power on circuit

heats up.. insulation gets soft.. trips MCB..

cools down.. thin insulation coat re-applies itself to conductor..

then the cycle can re-start!

Ditto.. photo with cover removed... but switch off main switch Before removing cover!!! :|

I couldn't see an previous & next inspection date sticker either???? ?:|

Rented property?

surley a PIR should have been done?

to eliminate problems like this?

I think you are going to need some proper tests done on the circuit..

Insulation Resistance Is a MUST for starters! :|

Take care M8.

Does anyone else think its strange that its fitted just above the skirting?? god help any pooch that ***** its leg on that badboy.......

Does anyone else think its strange that its fitted just above the skirting?? god help any pooch that ***** its leg on that badboy.......
LOL :^O :^O

Naahhh...

the photos upside down!

its just been fitted the wrong way round close the the ceiling. because it was easier to get the lid off :) :)

LOL :^O :^ONaahhh...

the photos upside down!

its just been fitted the wrong way round close the the ceiling. because it was easier to get the lid off :) :)
Must admit I took a min or two to reach the same conclusion.

OP was the 40A on the spec - not the 32. I`m confused.

Irrespective; if there is a fault capable of tripping out a 32(or 40)A MCB in short order (and getting shorter:() its gonna be a fairly major affair.

No offence intended stickem, but in your position I`d have it checked. If there is a situation such as specloc. described earlier, and any other cables are nearby, they could also now be damaged.

tick, tick tick................ get it sorted before the boom m8.

(IMHO)

[quote name=

(IMHO)

lmao theres nothing like a bit of reassurance:^O:^O

nice one KME u made my day

Must admit I took a min or two to reach the same conclusion. OP was the 40A on the spec - not the 32. I`m confused.

Irrespective; if there is a fault capable of tripping out a 32(or 40)A MCB in short order (and getting shorter:() its gonna be a fairly major affair.

No offence intended stickem, but in your position I`d have it checked. If there is a situation such as specloc. described earlier, and any other cables are nearby, they could also now be damaged.

(IMHO)
Is that the new style in Wales, carpets on the ceiling :| :|