HELP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAUL M

Reaction score
Any guidance on the following problem/conundrum will be most appreciated.

I am in the process of pricing up a large extension,but on the spec the guy has said that in the new master bedroom he wants spotlights(not a problem)

He allso wants a wall light either side of the bed(again not a problem)

For switching(this is the problem)he wants a 2 gang switch as you enter,to be able to switch the main spots on and the 2 bed side lights in parralel.

He allso wants 1 3 gang switch at each side of the bed in order to switch

each wall light independantly and the main lights:_|,is this arrangement possible as i am racking my brain and i cant see the answer.Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

The ceiling lights are no problem, just 2 way & intermediate. The only way using conventional methods for the wall lights would be to have the switch by the door a master, that feeds the 2, 2 ways either side of the bed.

Other than that, there's remote control, or some of these new dimmers that use slaves rather than 2 way or intermediate.

Cheers for that slip,i will have to look into it a bit deeper me thinks.

the easiest way would be put a 3 gang switch a door way and use intermediate switches

the easiest way would be put a 3 gang switch a door way and use intermediate switches
But that would require using a 3 gang intermidiate swith and have only seen them in 1 gang and 2 gang,but cheers anyway.Guiness Drink

Paul the click range I use you can make the switch any way you want it each gang is changeable Ie you could have A key switch a mid position switch and an intermiate all in a 3 gand switch

I reckon your best bet is either gonna be remote control,

or one of them intelligent lighting set ups, dunno if it would be financially viable for one room tho.

Im sure there is a link in the links section somewhere.

Paul the click range I use you can make the switch any way you want it each gang is changeable Ie you could have A key switch a mid position switch and an intermiate all in a 3 gand switch
If money's no issue, Heritage Brass will make up the switches for you in any combination you like in their range of finishes. Only downside is that it requires a double back box - discovered this last week whilst sorting out a setup almost identical to yours!

I reckon your best bet is either gonna be remote control,or one of them intelligent lighting set ups, dunno if it would be financially viable for one room tho.

Im sure there is a link in the links section somewhere.
Have a look at a system called X10 it uses the house wiring for the comms and is very cheap for things like this.

You can fit input modules in the back of the switch or hard wire straight to the OP module using Cat5e, then set relay or dimmer (Op mods) for your required scene via a simple bit of software, it can handle 256 address. You need momentary switches though - Clipsal used to do a 4gang on a single plate.

They have a bit of freeware you can download of the pc tool to mess about with its very flexible

Cheers for the help lads will have a word with the customer see how much he is willing to spend,i dont think money is a big issue as the guy is having plasma tv`s and all sorts of gadgets,will keep you posted.Guiness Drink