Hi and a question!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrelspark

Reaction score
Hi There

I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help with a query I have.  I am looking to move jobs, nothing sinister, just wanting to look for something closer to home, but happy to stay where I am for the time being.  However, I can see more and more employers are asking for the ECS Gold card.  After some investigation, it would appear that despite me gaining C&G 2360 Pts 1 & 2, C&G 2391 and completing the 18th edition, due to the cut off of September 1999 (Part 2 completed Nov 2000) I need to undertake the Mature Candidate Assessment. 

Is there anyone here who has had to take this route?  I cant seem to find any detail to how long this would take or what it looks like "on the ground".  I am concerned that my current employment, which is mainly around testing would not give an assessor enough evidence of my abilities.  I worked for myself for a number of years and have gained experience in all manner of installations etc. but my current employment is quite focussed on testing and compliance and with the cost of the assessment being around £2k, I am reluctant to start this off if I am not going to be able to provide the evidence required.

Any advice, experience etc. would be very much appreciated.

Speak to JTL they do the course, you may find that you will have to pay and do the AM2 separately, although that may have changed. It will take anywhere from 3-6months to complete depending on a few factors. 

Jeez  !!  The guy is already a Sparky  I assume   , although I'm not up on the latest quallies ,   how many hoops does he have to jump through ?   

Suddenly the JIB  card is important again  !!!!        

When the Part P  competent persons scheme  war inflicted upon the trade  ,   a JIB card counted for sod all  , proving nothing until you paid £400  into a new scheme .    

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah but they have you over two barrels, if you do domestic then you really need the scam membership and fee, if you do work whereby you are not responsible for the sign off, such as subbing then you don’t need the P, however you sub in a commercial environment or industrial environment then you need the ECS (which is a cover for JIB) and grading accordingly. 

So cheapest option is to sub on domestic-non sitework- only or change profession. :C  

I don't know  I''m sure  .... I've held a JIB card since they looked like this  and was never asked to produce it .   I used the later  photo version as an ID card .  

JIB Cards (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: