Hi! Ev Rapid Charge 3-Phase Qq

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

250GTO

Reaction score
Hello and Happy Xmas etc - and my apologies if I'm asking experts a dumb question!

A group of us want to install/ access a rapid car charger - in a convenient location for our own use (as there are too few en-route). We all drive the Nissan Leaf model (ie 50kw DC Chedemo ie 20 mins for 80% - with a 63 amp source).

Rather than go through the planning and excavation works of an expensive public unit (apparently = £35-£50k), I wonder if it's possible to make use of an existing 3 phase power source - within an industrial unit - or workshop - (and where there are spare parking spaces).

My question assumes that we have a viable building/ power source - and an owner who is open to this proposal.

If so, what type of equipment would be needed - and what would be the likely vague costs (between and between £XXXX-£XXXX)?

What kind of a) hardware and b) prep/ installation might be involved (I'm simply looking to gauge the likely costs, snags and complications - nothing exact)?

Also, do such commercial power users pay a lower unit tariff than domestic users (ie 7p E7 to 18p std) - the cost per full charge on a home socket seem to be around £4?

On the home charger subject, do I need to spend £185 (and the gov't spend £700 = £885) on a dedicated home wall charger (eg a Rolec 3.5kw) or am I OK to have a dedicated cable run from the fuse panel to the garage (it's easy access)?

Thanks for taking the time.

yes, it could be powered from a TP supply. either one thats designed to work from TP or use a single phase from it

electricity costs are generally the same

cost would depend on too many factors such as availability of space in the board, adequate capacity at the board, location etc. if your lucky, some places may already have a 63a socket you could plug into but thats unlikely and if it is, its probably already installed for something else

not really done much with the chargers, but a suitable charger installed correctly to the manufacturers instruction & 7671 should be OK

Why cannot you just have a three phase supply installed at one of your houses and plug the charger into that??

To give you an idea, i had a three phase supply installed.. It was 25 metres from where the mains cable under the footpath outside the house is and the total cost from the electricity people, including all materials, [but i had to dig the cable trench on my onw property [they dig the pavement up and re-tarmac it themselves] was about £1500

On top of this you would have to provide somewhere that their new meter box could be, and get someone to connect up the socket, and then have somewhere for the charger to be. I know nothing about these chargers, you might just bolt them to a wall for all i know.

But anyway, forget all the muppets that tell you £50,000, in 99% of cases it is complete and utter rubbish.

john..

Last edited by a moderator:
commercial users are genrally on lower elecgtric rates due to hgher use, but not always. Most of the cost ofr getting 3P supply installed is in digging holes, so the more you dig the lower the bill - talk to your local DNO, prices can vary enormously.

Latest posts