High Pitch Sound from a New Fridge Freezer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenelopeParking

Reaction score
Our landlord has just installed a new integrated fridge freezer in our property.  It's nothing special, just the average Indesit.  We've had it a short while and its started making a high pitched sound which I understand may not be detectable to everyone.  Its coming from the rear of it whenever the cooling cycle starts up.  It's driving me mad.  But more importantly, its driving my little one crazy.  What was once the heart of the home, is now avoided, we're spending only as long as needed in the kitchen.  

Is this a common problem with cheaper integrated fridge freezers?  I've read online that it could just be normal to a specific model.  Im worried that if the sellers send out a repair guy (their level of service is non-existent), that they would claim they can't hear anything and proclaim there's nothing wrong.  I am contemplating moving out!!

I appreciate any help!

No idea how old you are, but can youngsters, - (teenagers),  hear it?  Their hearing is typically much more sensitive to high frequencies than the average older persons'.

Have you tried touching any of the exposed pipes to see if that varies the sound? Vibrations from these are common, but usually low frequency buzzing type sound.

There are instruments which measure sound level and frequency but I'm not sure where you might get hold of one. That would be the way to prove or disprove a problem.