Highest domestic voltage encountered ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called out to an immersion heater  today  , it tested OK , 19ohms ,    mains supply  across the element but no current on clamp meter     :C     Found the E7 controller to be faulty .   Bridged it out , abandoned mains testers  , & tried two  voltage tests , one with  the clamp meter leads  , one with my Megger  .   Both read  262 V .    

About 200 mtrs away is a sub station at the end of a line of pylons  , to which I contribute that measurement   .   I've had 255V   around Brum but not  this much . 

Last edited by a moderator:
When a foot long blue spark came out of a ring socket I'd just taken the face plate off during an electrical storm. Fuse was in my pocket. TN-S if that makes any difference.

I didn't imagine it. As for being mad...

Of course there was that care home job I told you about at the time.  Storm, power lines down, no quick fix so the DNO bought a mobile genny.  Only they connected it up wrong and put the star point to one phase.  Oops 415V on another phase, loads of stuff in the house blew up including the fire alarm etc.

Of course there was that care home job I told you about at the time.  Storm, power lines down, no quick fix so the DNO bought a mobile genny.  Only they connected it up wrong and put the star point to one phase.  Oops 415V on another phase, loads of stuff in the house blew up including the fire alarm etc.
That is a good one

I have seen a print out that showed an 1100v spike lasting 15ms on a domestic property

The largest measurable voltage I've seen was 295v went and checked a few of the adjacent properties and one had a voltage that was well below 200v conclusion was the DNO had a floating neutral which they later confirmed