Highways electrician saying hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusR

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m in a similar position to Wells. 7 years as a “highways electrician” working on Street Lighting, EV chargers and Traffic Signals.

18th edition from C&G though everything else is from the HEA... NVQ level 2, initial verification, G39 etc.

I was considering putting myself through C&G 2391 and NVQ Level 3 2346 for experienced workers. Though I’m not entirely certain how far that would get me in the domestic/commercial game.

The training is with a company called XS training if anyone has any experience with them? I’m unsure if in my current role I’d be able to acquire all the relevant evidence for the portfolio?

Appreciate the help guys I’m hoping I don’t to have to spend my entire working life in the Rain.

Your post has been given its own shiny new home. Hi-jacking other members posts causes confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t XS a sponsor here at one point?
If you are going through the Mature Candidate role then you will be entitled to the Gold Card status once completed. This will give you recognition by all that you are an electrician.

Wasn’t XS a sponsor here at one point?
If you are going through the Mature Candidate role then you will be entitled to the Gold Card status once completed. This will give you recognition by all that you are an electrician.
Thanks Sharpend.

Do you think it would also help to do some sort of domestic installer course or module as I don’t have any employed experience in domestic work? Or would I still easily get a domestic or commercial job without this?

Really appreciate the advice.

What do you think you are lacking electrically to doubt your abilities?
I’m not doubting my ability, I’m doubting my in house/HEA qualifications count for much other than on the highways.

Because I’ve always worked on the highways I’m not well versed in the domestic job market. How easy or hard would it be for me to get a job in domestic work if I got my NVQ and gold card with only work experience on the Highways?

Thanks again 😊

Just recapping your quals, I wonder whether you will be accepted via the mature scheme, have you spoken to JIB as they oversee the scheme?
I spoke to XS. They said because I already have C&G 18th edition I would only have to complete the 2391 to be allowed on to the mature scheme.

£600 for the 2391 and £1100 to £2000 for mature scheme. Not sure if it sounds to good to be true?

Thanks Sharpend.

Do you think it would also help to do some sort of domestic installer course or module as I don’t have any employed experience in domestic work? Or would I still easily get a domestic or commercial job without this?

Really appreciate the advice.
Domestic installer courses don't teach how to 'house bash'.

Domestic installer courses don't teach how to 'house bash'.
I’ve already bashed a few houses lol. Just don’t have a domestic role listed on my CV and I’m wondering how much that may or may not hold me back after spending 3K on retraining?

Thanks.

Yeah I’m hoping to work with a company at first with the aim of going it alone.

My good mate owns a plastering company and I’ve done a few small jobs for him like down lights, relocating sockets and hanging TV’s on false walls. He’s been nagging for me to go it alone for a while now.

At the moment I work with one of the largest engineering companies in Europe which offers a lot of security but as I said all training is in house to prevent guys from leaving and the pay structure hasn’t been reviewed in years.

Looking at the jobs Available in Scotland At the minute There is over 200 adverts for domestic and commercial. There is currently 2 for highways. So I was hoping the 2391 and the mature candidate NVQ would allow me to access this market?

Thanks again 😊

Yeah I’m hoping to work with a company at first with the aim of going it alone.

My good mate owns a plastering company and I’ve done a few small jobs for him like down lights, relocating sockets and hanging TV’s on false walls. He’s been nagging for me to go it alone for a while now.

At the moment I work with one of the largest engineering companies in Europe which offers a lot of security but as I said all training is in house to prevent guys from leaving and the pay structure hasn’t been reviewed in years.

Looking at the jobs Available in Scotland At the minute There is over 200 adverts for domestic and commercial. There is currently 2 for highways. So I was hoping the 2391 and the mature candidate NVQ would allow me to access this market?

Thanks again 😊
Oh and each time my mate has had to call me in it’s been because a “qualified” domestic spark has made a mess and been kicked off the job 😂

Nice to see a fellow highways bod!

It has its perks every now and then, other than the nutters in the public 😂

can confirm there's plenty nutters

long time since i did street lighting, but it was also common to be asked for the old control gear... especially in certain areas
I got asked twice to change the lights to green today 😐