Hive and Electrical issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodywoo

Reaction score
Apologies for the post but I am getting frustrated and wanted to vent my frustration.

i have a Greenstar 30CDI which is connected to a Hive system, I had an issue with the heating to the po8nt that it would not fire up the boiler. We have a 2 x 2way valve system. I called a heating engineer to take a look. I posted the job on Rated People, the description of the job was as willows:

I have had a new valve fitted so I know it’s not that. The hive system was fitted but has never really worked, we can not have just the heating on but need the hot water to get the heating to work. Please note ITS NOT the diverted valve. The hive controller is the issue, we have tried another one with the same issue. The hot water alone works fine, it’s just the heating that we have an issue with. On the Hive receiver wiring The N is connected, the L is connected, we are missing a common connection and the heating off(NC) is also not connected to anything. the heating on (NO) is connected and the Heating On (NO) is also connected. The hot water works fine, it’s just the heating. please don’t come if you can’t know how to wire a Hive to a Worcester Bosch’s Greenstar 30CDI Classic. I believe this is more of an electrical/wiring issue then everything else, the boiler does NOT need replacing, the diverted valve has already been replaced, 4 weeks ago, it’s the heating control that is not working.

The guy turned up and said he would fix the issue and has never failed to get one fixed, he returned the next day and said that he wiring was a mess, and to be honest it was a little messy, so he suggested it needed correcting, I agreed and he then realised the motor for the hot water valve was faulty. He replaced the motorised valve on the Honeywell 2 vat valve, he turned on the heating and the valve opened and closed, I paid him and he left.

when we checked the system we found that the heating did indeed work, however when we turned the heating off the boiler temperature went to in excess of 120degrees and kept climbing, I switched it off after speaking to Worcester Bosch’s. I turned it back on again and the system started up, without the heating or the hot water on the boiler continued to run all night, it sounded as if the boiler pump was running.

i now have had to keep the boiler off for the past 4 days due to it being dangerous, another weird thing is that we have no power to the hot water and the immersion is turned off, however we have a very hot water talk, it seems to have permanent heat despite the immersion light not being on and the boiler being off for 4 days now.

i have culled the guy back, and you guessed it I’ll be there on Monday, then Tuesday, I then text and called him today and no answer.

i now have no hot water, well from the boiler anyway, no heating, glad it’s summer and a tank that is permantely hot. The fault was just the heating valve, now he has retired it it’s a complete car crash.

thoughts, guidance would be really appreciated.

Who fitted the Hive system? Surely its that person who should be fixing this, if it worked before it was changed from the original controller!

My lord, what is it with sparks (so called) and heating systems???

they really are not that difficult, yet reading some posts it’s like mastermind: you have all the correct wires in the wrong order - try again. 

Thanks for you response and apologies for the typo. It seemed the issue was purely the Honeywell motor that had failed hence the heating not coming on. The Hive was fitted by BG a few years ago and never really worked properly but we lived with it. The boiler was replaced a few years again as well and worked well until the valve motor packed up, it was the. Fixed and all worked well. 

The heating then only only came on wit the hot water and we were told the valve needed replacing, it was replace and worked well for 6 months and then we have the current issue. The only problem I had was the hot water would not come on, the solution I was told was to tidy up the wiring. The guy said the wiring wa a mess and he did not want to work with someone’s else’s wiring mess. There are a few connections and terminations where we had the analogue thermostat replaced with a wireless Hive.

i now don’t know what do do, the boiler is dangerous due to the massive overheat when the heating is turned off, so we have had to turn it off so no heating or hot water.

whilst the wiring looks easy I have no idea what this guy has done, so don’t really want to touch it. The boiler overheats massively and whilst the controls now work, I think they do anyway, the boiler pump seems to run permantely, and the heating on the boiler goes to >120 before I get scared and turn the electric off.

i need to find someone who actually knows what they are doing, and not just turns up and tried to guess how to fix it. The ultimate giveaway is when they turn up the first thing they do is get on their phone and ring a mate to see how to fix it.

all I want is it to work, why are ther so many people who pretend to know what they are doing and rip people off, I am going to write an honest review of their work on the referral site and my lawyer has suggested we get it fixed and the peruse them for the money.

A few years ago I had an issue with BG at a place where I worked maintenance. The same guy came time and time again but clearly didn't have what it took to properly sort the problem with a boiler. Eventually I complained to the area manager, who agreed to bring in a different technician from elsewhere.  Problem solved in one visit!    My point, -----   They know that some of their people are a lot better than others. If you make a fuss they can send someone who can sort you out.

Hi, I am based in Cheshunt Hertfordshire, to be honest the hive was installed a few years ago along wit the boiler, both were installed by different companies, the boiler was a local heating supplier that I don’t really rate for their work. 

I beleive the boiler is fine, I think it’s the wiring now, the valve motor is new and I have tried another Hive system with the same issue. Everything worked apart from the heating, and it apprehend it was the valve motor, is that was the only thing he fixed it would be ok. However the wiring wa now F****d up the complete system.

if I asked for BG to take a look would they take on someone else’s errors or do I look for a locat tradesman who knows what they are doing and understands the issue I have.

Hi woodywoo

I am working in Chesunt  on and off at the  moment  and am based not far  in Enfield.

I know you have said above, but can you clarify  if you have just one, 3 port valve or two, 2 port valves (port meaning  how many pipes are attached).

You may even have only one, 2 port ?. Are all the valves, boiler, pump and hive interface in the  same area or cupboard ?

I have  re read your post and see you say you have 2 x 2 way valves. Your descriptions  and problems  are common faults/design flaws for a 3 port valve (known as a Y plan ) so how many pipes are connected  to each motorised valve and how many valves ?

However your description of the wiring is for a single channel system  which will never work for you. It may be you have wrongly read something though. Can you give the part number of the receiver and controller.

Have you checked the receiver is programmed for  fully pumped & not gravity ?

Last edited by a moderator: