Holiday company collapse protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of Mrs. KME has begun a petition to the government; to provide protection for purchasers when holiday companies go under (a la "XL").

If you`d like to add your voice; visit:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/hols-protection/

You register your intention to vote, and they send out a confirmation email. Click the link, and its done.

If it avoids people losing money to these firms, I`m all for it.

Solidarity boys & girlsPray

My 2K worth of holiday to Egypt next week was with XL. I threatened the travel agent with a 'crazy paving' effect on his windows every month for a year and amazingly got all my cash back. Am going Skiing with the tribe in Jan instead.

I just use a ABTA travel agency and take out additional insurance to cover us if the booking company goes under.

My 2K worth of holiday to Egypt next week was with XL. I threatened the travel agent with a 'crazy paving' effect on his windows every month for a year and amazingly got all my cash back. Am going Skiing with the tribe in Jan instead.
So you`ve signed up?

I just use a ABTA travel agency and take out additional insurance to cover us if the booking company goes under.
Fair comment, although there are a few horror stories on the Mrs` holiday forum, where people have been given the runaround, or find that ABTA doesn`t cover them, because of this or that clause.

I accept the point about insurance, but, again many of the insurance deals do not cover any flights other than scheduled; so you`d still have lost out.

I sincerely hope that, even where people have their own work-arounds, they would still "sign" ?

KME

I've signed :)

You do 'expect' to get what you pay for :)

(If you book via your credit card you have a degree of protection)

I agree Apache credit cards are normally bad news but great for insurance. I always use a card and then pay it off.

Thanks, macca.

I know there`s been quite a discussion over "how to avoid being caught out".....

But I honestly believe that we, as consumers, should be protected. OUR customers are. Why should large companies be consistently allowed to take your money, and run (farepak hampers, XL holidays) - FYI the directors of XL are now involved in a NEW airline / holiday company.

This blatant ripping-off of the british taxpayer needs addressing.

( there is no charge for voting. No salesman will call. You will not be bombarded will ten times the junk mail that you currently get!!)

KME

Thanks, macca.I know there`s been quite a discussion over "how to avoid being caught out".....

But I honestly believe that we, as consumers, should be protected. OUR customers are. Why should large companies be consistently allowed to take your money, and run (farepak hampers, XL holidays) - FYI the directors of XL are now involved in a NEW airline / holiday company.

This blatant ripping-off of the british taxpayer needs addressing.

( there is no charge for voting. No salesman will call. You will not be bombarded will ten times the junk mail that you currently get!!)

KME
You might have to go looking in your junk mail folder for the confirmation email mind Blushing

Latest posts