Home audio systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Data cabling is likely to be more useful, especially from your router to any smart TV /digital recorder location. Consider also HDMI cable from your main (smart) TV to second sets if you may want to use those facilities remotely. Both these are things I've added in my bungalow.
I have all my AV kit in a central cupboard (under the stairs) and from there hdmi cables to feed the two main televisions. With wall hung tv's you don't want set top box clutter where the tv is. I use hdmi splitters so the same box can feed both tv's simultaneously if you want, and IR extenders so you can control all the stuff in the cupboard from both rooms.

Both have surround sound systems with all speaker cabling built into the walls during the build.

House audio is from an old hifi unit in the same cupboard, again with IR remote control so you rarely have to actually physically touch it, that feeds speakers in each room, all cabling built in at build time. Main audio source is a raspbery Pi Music box.

I am not a fan of smart tv's. I prefer a couple of good but old dumb tv's and a cheap firestick for all the smart stuff.

there are many ways of implements whole-house AV systems but most/all will need a solid network infrastructure. Wifi is convenient but coverage and interference problems can easily arise and be frustrating to fix. Structured network wiring (if planned properly) might be a bit more effort but is fast, reliable and flexible.

As for Cat5e or Cat6, it makes little diffence for most homes because of the relatively short distances. Cat5e will easily support gigabit LAN speeds and often 10Gigabit. Considering 20Mbit/s will support 4k video you have to question the need for the maximum speeds possible, unless you're building a render-farm for digital movies :LOL:

Another common use of home networks is for digital CCTV using IP cameras. These can be conveniently powered over ethernet cabling (with the right hub/switch equipment) and even Cat5e cabling is complete overkill for these, so much so that many modern switches have the option to limit the port speed to around 10Mbit/sec and this allows such IP cameras to run over Cat5e upto around 250m. I know, because I've done exactly that and it works fine. Given that video is a far more demanding application than audio, it seems unlikely that any domestic application will ever NEED the potentially higher performance of Cat6 cabling.

But you pay your money, you make your choice.:)

I have all my AV kit in a central cupboard (under the stairs) and from there hdmi cables to feed the two main televisions. With wall hung tv's you don't want set top box clutter where the tv is. I use hdmi splitters so the same box can feed both tv's simultaneously if you want, and IR extenders so you can control all the stuff in the cupboard from both rooms.

Both have surround sound systems with all speaker cabling built into the walls during the build.

House audio is from an old hifi unit in the same cupboard, again with IR remote control so you rarely have to actually physically touch it, that feeds speakers in each room, all cabling built in at build time. Main audio source is a raspbery Pi Music box.

I am not a fan of smart tv's. I prefer a couple of good but old dumb tv's and a cheap firestick for all the smart stuff.
Ow doez u change de gramafone record? ;-)

Sounds very much like my son's house. Understairs looks like the network cabinet of a server room.
Only snag is you need a training course before being left in the house alone. Even turning off the wi-fi controlled lights can be a challenge, and as for, "where's that music coming from?" forget it!

Latest posts